PDA

View Full Version : New Subject - Swimming Pool Heat Pumps

LanzaCarlos
04-02-2006, 10:01 AM
At least I think it's new as several searchs of the whole forum have not produced any meaningful results! But I'm not sure where to post or whether we need a new forum or what so I may need re-directing.

I am investigating the performance of several swimming pool packaged heat pumps, mostly heating private pools. I have started to monitor their performance and find the results are very varied, even on supposedly identical units. So starting with what seems to be the worst unit we are going to check each one.

However finding meaningful data is proving difficult, label data only gives initial charge and low & high pressure v temperature curves. I am therefore keen to hear from anyone who can suggest how to establish if the units are performing properly and how we can readily establish if refrigerant etc needs adding. Most of the units run on R22 but what level of superheat might be expected on the hot gas from the compressor (This is the only pipe readily accessible without dismantling)

Here's hoping!

frank
04-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Why not plot the data from each piece of kit onto a Mollier chart and compare results :)

slingblade
04-02-2006, 01:55 PM
the subject of swimming pool heat pumps is an opening for interesting debate. usually the fridge kit will be for the sole purpose of dehumidification to the pool area by way of ducted air change and the heat reclaimed used to warm the pool by the use of a heat exchanger. the size of plant required for dehum. will be far smaller than required for heating the volume of water in the pool and as such the pool water will be heated by boilers. the water temp. will then have an effect on the operation of the heat pump as the cooling water temp will affect performance (unless an ata valve is used). i am sure however that marc o'brien will have all the answers to your peticular problems as he is omnipotent.

om·nip·o·tent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (m-np-tnt)
adj.
Having unlimited or universal power, authority, or force; all-powerful

LanzaCarlos
06-02-2006, 09:40 AM
I am talking about the deterioration of dedicated packaged heat pumps used for heating outdoor swimming pools. These are mostly used to supplement solar panels during the winter months when, because the sun is no longer directly overhead, it's intensity is insufficient.

slingblade
06-02-2006, 09:36 PM
take it away marc........ there is much scope here for talk of reduced swept volumetric efficiency characteristics and countless reams of other nonsensica.

Lc_shi
08-02-2006, 04:29 AM
you can get the electricity consuming and swimming pool water temp lift and calculate the energy efficiency. Initial judge can be obtained by the efficiency comparison. then you can go further.

rgds
LC

LanzaCarlos
08-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Yes LC I agree and I have done this. The result is a COP of 3.5 but last year I was getting a COP of over 5.0 under only slightly better site conditions.

However I would like to try a heat balance on the gas side. Does anyone have enthalpy charts or sensible and latent heat values for R22?

The more I get into this, the more fascinated I am getting but what I realy want to do is optimise the performance.

LanzaCarlos

Lc_shi
09-02-2006, 09:33 AM
http://www.et.web.mek.dtu.dk/Coolpack/UK/About.html

using Coolpack ,get what you want

regards
LC

LanzaCarlos
09-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Thanks LC, I have downloaded and had a quick looksee. It will take some understanding but here goes! I guess it's a powerful programme and maybe beyond me but who knows!

Regards, LanzaCarlos