PDA

View Full Version : nasty Windows virus

chillin out
03-02-2006, 09:08 PM
The Nyxem worm has been running wild this week. And it packs a nasty
surprise: It deletes data in several file types.

This malicious little devil is also known as the Kama Sutra worm. It
deletes data in Microsoft Office files, and in those created by Adobe
Photoshop and Acrobat.

Kama Sutra is so-named because it attempts to lure victims into opening
an attachment with the promise of lewd images. Among the subject lines
are "give me a kiss," "Arab **x" and "Hot Movie."

Here's a good way to avoid this nasty: Update your anti-virus program.

Chillin:) :)

chillin out
03-02-2006, 09:09 PM
The Kama Sutra worm, which has numerous aliases, is set to deliver its first destructive payload Today (February 3). This worm is believed to have infected anywhere from 200,000 to 700,000 computers worldwide.

The worm is programmed to destroy numerous antivirus program files and Microsoft Office document files, thirty minutes after an infected machine is powered up, on the third day of each month.

Microsoft has included detection for this worm in its Malicious Software Removal Tool. However, Microsoft is withholding that update from all but paying members of their "Windows Live Safety" and "OneCare" beta services. Microsoft refuses to release the update to the general public, before their regularly scheduled general update, on February 14th. I will have plenty to say about that in tomorrow's newsletter, believe me.

Whether you believe that you are infected or not, you should take precautionary steps now, just in case. Any documents created by Microsoft Office as well as .rar and .zip archives should be backed up and stored on separate, removable storage, such as a CD or DVD. Files and documents of this type will be corrupted beyond repair on infected machines.

Symantec has released a free tool that will remove the virus. Download the tool and run it, even if you are certain that you are not infected.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blackmal@mm.removal.tool.html

Chillin:) :)

Abe
04-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks Chillin.

I have my e mails firewalled, but I downloaded tool that you have kindly provided link to.

You doing a sterling job helping all us members

Thank you

regards

Abe

whiffnsniff
27-02-2006, 12:01 PM
You could always go to www.trend.com and use their housecall feature which will scan and remove virus's online and free of charge.