PDA

View Full Version : A Load of Balls!

Grizzly
04-05-2013, 05:14 PM
A Load of Balls! Bearings that is!

Okay Guys are you sitting comfortably?
I took over the maintenance of a site in January which has a major issue with it’s 4 evaporative towers.
Where at least 6 (That I know of!) of their water pumps have failed with either the bearings the shaft seals or the motors seizing.
According to the manufacturer there is no issue!
Or at least none that he is talking about
A brand new replacement I fitted in February failed in a matter of weeks.

So hears the story, no-one previously took up the mantle and questioned what was happening,
Basically when inspected it becomes apparent that these pumps have major bearing failure issues!

Whilst travelling around our region I have been discussing this with various site engineers.

The scenario is this:-
I believe there is an epidemic of spurious bearings, At best made out of cheap recycled steel in china.
Which have flooded the market Being packaged in genuine OEM packaging is no Guarantee!

Let me explain.

# My colleague whilst talking about this very subject, was told by the Engineering Staff of a well known very large Dairy group.
That they having purchased any new pump or motor, irrespective of how well known the manufacturer was.
Remove the bearings and replace with the same type, but purchased through their own supplier who has a proven supply record.

# I had a similar conversation with a site based Fork Lift Engineer.
Who has together with his colleagues, stopped ordering the French supplied OEM spares.

And now orders through a local bearing supplier, (Read proven source!)
Since doing this they have not had to replace 1 mast bearing, whereas before they were regularly having to be replaced.

# Again recently, whilst talking to a Site Facilities Engineer who is extremely experienced.
About the said problem replied!
Whilst he was part of a team, working for a huge International Telecoms component company in China.

Where they were there to inspect the quality of their Chinese component suppliers and issue the ISO 9000 accreditation.
Which enabled that manufacturer to supply the International Telecoms industry with ISO 9000 components.

Stumbled across a scam, where they turned up at the penultimate manufacturers factory a day earlier than scheduled.
To find the covers of the machines on this state of the art production line/ Factory.
Being removed and these machines being started up with components being stacked ect.
To give the illusion to the inspectors the following day that these were indeed the machines
Being used to produce the components that they were there to inspect and accreditate!

Whereas when their backs were turned or as was happening once issued with the accreditation. These parts were being produced with very cheap antiquated equipment elsewhere!
Apparently the same happened when they arrived early at their next scheduled Manufacturers site.

Back to the pumps!

# So I was recently walking through an Engineering workshop when I spotted an Impellor from on of the said water pumps.
“That looks like a it’s from **** cooling tower water pump?” I said!
“Yes they are Shi*! We have had 2 go in the last 2 years.” The site Engineer I was with replied!
“I can beat that I have one that has not even lasted 2 months!”
“Yes! But yours will have run 24/7 whereas ours only run occationally. The bearings are crap
The ball bearing cage has just failed and the whole bearing race has fallen apart!”

We both then went on to agree that there is indeed an issue with the bearing quality within these pump motors,.
Given that I have some sites with the same pumps that are 20 / 25 yrs old. In fact I have not even come across a case of a shaft seal failing BEFORE THESE 18MONTH OLD (Or less) ones.

Add it all together and component quality is becoming a huge issue irrespective of manufacturer.

# we have had the last 2 pumps that failed rebuilt locally from a motor rewind company with a proven track record.
More importantly a proven supplier of components!
Neither as of yet have any issues.
One of the 2 that I removed had seized, but the other had a badly leaking shaft seal.
When I looked at this I found at least ½” of linier movement when pulling upon the impeller.

No supprise why the shaft seal failed, I have it in my workshop at home so will update you all on the state of the bearings shortly.
Incidently a new set of bearings from the internet are around £5.00
I have yet to source a shaft seal, any ideas anyone?

Grizzly

monkey spanners
04-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Have had a lot of the small fan motors fail in under twelve months (though they are plain bearings) i now spec them with ball bearings.

Seems like a lot off new stuff isn't worth the money they ask for it being little more than diy quality. The trouble is many customers don't seem able to tell the difference.

I think it was one of the biggest mistakes to have shipped out manufacturing to China, they now know how to make all our stuff, and could ship us a load of faulty parts if they so chose, (look at how Korea is going...) and within a short time much of our infrastructure would grind to a hault.

al
04-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Having same issue with the multifit motors, only lasting months when changed. Are the EC fans any more reliable i wonder?

Grizzly, given what you are seeing, will it be any wonder when OEM screws and centrifs start falling over due to spurious bearings,i believe the aircraft industry is rife with this, any industry that requires large volumes of spare parts will be open to abuse.

al

Brian_UK
04-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Tried Brammers for bearings, I could recommend NSK bearings because I commissioned their factory up in the North East some years ago.

Shaft seals, tried BSS with the pump details.

Also, read here...
http://www.stopfakebearings.com/#/start

Grizzly
06-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Hi Guys!
Al, yours is a scary thought about Comps failing. But if you read/ watch Brian's link then it is a real possibility.

Thanks for the suggestions Brian.

I will try them.
Grizzly

Coorsman777
06-05-2013, 01:29 PM
I changed more evap fan motors in the last 18 months in the field than I did in the previous 10 years. We had one case manufacturer that had a 100% evap fan failure rate in the first 2 years!

todd86
06-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Seems to be a really bad issue with components from china in all industries over the last couple of years when that problem with electrical caps broke out back in 2006 & every manufacture on the planet had problems with caps that should of opened every ones eyes back then. Would love to be free from this issue although manufactures will all ways take the risk with the quality of components when big money can be saved.

It always gets me when you get the likes of samsung saying don't blame us it's a problem with the manufacture of are components we are just as frustrated as you. Well why are we paying a premium prices for " reliable " branding seems we may as well buy any old junk on the market as they all use the same third rate manufactures in china.

lowcool
14-05-2013, 03:40 AM
good ol china
had a **** load of problems with vaccums on heatcraft gear,discovered water prevalent in condensing units and evaporators,as usual they said bull****,i persisted,they said lets cut the receiver open,yes they were right,no water in receiver,nice rust stain inside on vessel bottom and a nicely rust etched dip tube and yes black,green or white coatings on the inside of evap tails means it has been correctly manufactured.
now if they would just pay the bills
i can feel a **** fight coming on