PDA

View Full Version : freezer cold , fridge warm

vita
04-05-2013, 12:59 PM
hi everybody,
i got a small zanussi fridge with two compartments. the model is zd/19. after transporting it to another place a problem occurred. the freezer is cold with no ice forming but the food compartment is hot. is somewhere between 10 to 13 celcius when its supposed to be 5 or even lower. i have attached a pic of the fridge from the manual. its a user manual. i cant find the service manual anywhere. the compressor works ok, i can listen to it. the coils on the back are clean. the water located on the food compartment is not blocked since over time little water runs.
setting the thermostat to 3-4 is useless, setting it to the highest point will only reach 10 celcius, no lower then that. first of all does my fridge have an evaporator fun behind the freezer ? i tried to find a way to open the freezer compartment but there doesn't seem a way to do it, or at least i cant find it. the first pic attached is a pic of the fridge found on google. if you look at the freezer it doenst seem to have any access points to open it. what could be the problem ?
thanks

Done it all
05-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Most likely a pipe has been knocked and it has lost its gas.

todd86
06-05-2013, 03:25 AM
Hi Vivita

First Let me say i am no expert in domestic refrigeration.

Domestic refrigerators are not usually built with consideration for easy repair more for the productivity of manufacture some times making it difficult for the engineer to gain aces to components.
The evaporator will be behind the plastic panel inside the cabinet some times removable via screws sometimes not accessible at all other than to smash it. The coil to the rear of the cabinet the one you can see is the condenser. when yo can her the system working & are getting cooling in the freezer this is often a defrost problem with air not circulating the the refrigerator as the freezer coil is iced up.
Problem could be defrost clock, defrost timer, or heater. Check this youtube video for how to repair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaRyNiPn26o

If it as Done it all suggest it has lost refrigerant it would need a engineer to recharge but due to cost & assing i would just buy another one.

Hope that helps

todd86
06-05-2013, 03:26 AM
Hi Vivita

First Let me say i am no expert in domestic refrigeration.

Domestic refrigerators are not usually built with consideration for easy repair more for the productivity of manufacture some times making it difficult for the engineer to gain aces to components.
The evaporator will be behind the plastic panel inside the cabinet some times removable via screws sometimes not accessible at all other than to smash it. The coil to the rear of the cabinet the one you can see is the condenser. when yo can her the system working & are getting cooling in the freezer this is often a defrost problem with air not circulating the the refrigerator as the freezer coil is iced up.
Problem could be defrost clock, defrost timer, or heater. Check this youtube video for how to repair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaRyNiPn26o

If it as Done it all suggest it has lost refrigerant it would need a engineer to recharge but due to cost & assing i would just buy another one.

Hope that helps

tonto33
06-05-2013, 09:43 PM
regas for bout 80 quid

Iceman717
07-05-2013, 10:14 PM
The evaporator coil is usually located beneath a panel on the floor of the freezer. Chances are you're iced up heavy in there or the fan stopped working.

Or it could be as the maintenance man at the apartment complex I live in told me as I was moving in and the fridge had the same problem. He ran down into the basement then came back up and told me it would be fine. I was like "Huh?". He than explained that my circuit breaker was half tripped, that's why only the top half was getting cold. He told me to check it again in the morning. Heh, a single-pole 120v breaker was supposedly half tripped? I had no food at the time since I was just moving in so I humored this idiot. Called him back in the morning and told him his evaporator fan was shot. He replied that it was more likely the circuit breaker. OMG. After a couple of hours a tech shows up, spends about 3 minutes in the thing and tells me the evap fan is shot. Ya Think???

half tripped...

And this after the rental lady had just got done telling me what a wonderful maintenance staff we had.

Sorry, got sorta off-topic but it brought back that memory. :D

1mikeefc1
03-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Sounds more like a stat fault as it only has one comp I would have suspected the freezer to be faulty as well as the fridge if it was short of gas.

The MG Pony
06-07-2013, 04:54 PM
lots of fridges just have one evap and one compressor, the evap is usualy all ways in the freezer, it's job is to keep the freezer frozen, the fridge side bleeds air from the freezer side via a few ways, most common is a little styrofoam door controled by a linkage, and if higher end may even use a thermal static charge in a bellows to control the door to adjust the rate of air moved from freezer to fridge.

Freeze up due to bad defrost timer is 80% of the time the issue, the other 10 percent is food stuffs lodging in the air bleeder system. the rest is a good mix of electrical, very very very rarely is it ever gas! Unless you just finnished defrosting a plate style with a screw driver or knife then it is usualy gurentee'd to be gas!

The Tstat seldom goes but is a slight possibility. Best way to test is unplug the fridge for a night, if there is a big puddle on the floor it is defrost issue