View Full Version : looking for some guidance

03-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Hello and thank you for your time. Here's my situation. I currently work for a state university. I work in the transportation department as a mechanic, repairing a number of vehicles. As part of our fleet we also have a few buses. Time and time again, I see the a/c work for said buses outsourced. I'm ase a7(a/c) and j609 certified. Google has been very helpful in trying to sell me all sorts of study guides but, I cant seem to find out exactly what certification I would need to work on the r22 systems in our buses. So where do I go from here? My thought is, if I am the only one in the shop that is authorized to work on r22, that makes me a more valuable employee. I understand the r134a equipment at my shop will not work for r22. I'm more interested in what certification(s) I need to be able to work on and purchase r22.

Rob White
03-05-2013, 07:44 PM

R22 is a refrigerant
R134a is a refrigerant

If you can work with one you can work with the other.



install monkey
03-05-2013, 09:26 PM
unless ur colour blind- r134a blue - can be seen by colour blind people
r22 green bottle probably looks like 502,407,and probably oxy bottles too!!:D

04-05-2013, 06:21 AM
It depends entirely on your federal & state legislation. In the UK & Oz, there's no differentiation between the 'normal' refrigerants. Licensed for one, licensed for all. In Oz there are restricted licences based on the size & type of equipment & your level of training.
In the UK you are supposed to hold a certificate of training to be able to purchase & work with flammable refrigerants.

So imo you need to ask your local authority what you need.