PDA

View Full Version : A/C for conservatory.

Lucas
02-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi all,

Been out of the game for a fair few years now. Was looking for some info on a a/c unit for my conservatory. I know I should really opt for a split but with most if not all my kit now gone (inc vac pump, oxy/accy etc) though I still have a few bits. And also considering I do not really want the work involved since giving up.

~Ok so a through the wall job would entail a bit of work, but as I remember them they were clanky, noisey things left rattling away in some old office....are they still made/sold and if so are there good ones on market with reasonable price tags?

My final option is a portable unit. Seen some good ones in my time and for the couple weeks a year it would be used may be the better option for me (taking into account the alterations, electrics etc the other two options require.) The conservatory is L 4m x W 3.6m (apex roof height 3m) south facing. On-line calculated 21936 btu/hr 6.5kw/hr required (not sure if that is correct?).

Ideally, If I am honest, and really I know it is not what I would of advised was the right way to go to a customer, I would prefer the portable unit. Simply for the ease of it. Not looking for one from B&Q etc. Looking to get something correctly sized, reliable and up to job. Any advice appreciated.

install monkey
02-05-2013, 08:41 PM
ideally u want a wall mount on the exterior house wall, fish the pipework,drain ,interconnect within the cavity- wrap the pipework (insulate both lines) cover in duct tape to prevent lagging from snagging on wall ties. drain in 3/4 overflow with a 1cm per mtr fall. if ur good u can fish 4mtr down the cavity- if u dont fancy that then a floorstanding unit- but that will affect her furniture lay out- allow 150watt per metre squared.
ive got a 6x3 conservatory- with a 3.5kw wall mount,inverter heatpump- glass apex roof, works great, will struggle in extreme hot,cold days-if u mount the condenser on the floor then make sure u raise it with condenser blocks(bbj make em) or edging flags 6 inch high,to prevent leaves fouling the condenser,and any snow- when heating it will defrost and the water must be able to escape the condenser freely- otherwise ice will build up and damage fan blade or fan mount.
daikin,mitsi are the dogs knackers- fujitsu,toshiba cheaper.
dont go for a portable unit- u have to duct the hose outside,noisy due to compressor.
final option is the unico stuff- indoor unit with 2 ducts for condenser, no piping,no outdoor but bulky and probably crap.
lastly- get roof blinds,as im too tight to buy em it adds additional heatload on sunny days.
good luck

Tesla
02-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Hi Lucas
I would go for the through the wall rattler. Cheap but now days they even come with remote, this is what I have for my flat any way. I tried the portables and one model failed twice and I found them noisy and in your face. If you got a bigger one you could have it on lower fan speed which would make it quieter. A split looks better and quieter but costs more and involves a lot more work to fit. With the through the wall when it dies you just pull it out and slide a new one in - simple.

mikeref
03-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Portable A/c's? Only ones i've seen use the conditioned room air to cool the condenser, that has a flex duct to shove the hot air outside. Massive air change load and condensate container doesn't take long to fill up. :rolleyes:

Tesla
03-05-2013, 10:38 AM
mikeref I have seen an advancement in efficiency in the portables where the condensate is pipes to drizzle over the condenser and is steamed to the vent outside. But like you said really what a waste of energy using cooled air to cool the condenser. I do like the idea of condensate over condenser though as it could be applied to other units.

mikeref
03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Evening Tesla. If there were a portable a/c that had an outside air duct to feed the condenser as well as having another to exhaust, then i would consider portable a/c's as a reasonable option to "Window Shakers" or "Splits." ;)

BTW, i sleep better with some steady background noise instead of hearing the neighbours hip hop music or drunks making obscene comments on their way home from the pubs.:off topic:

install monkey
03-05-2013, 06:54 PM
cant get window rattlers in the uk:confused:

Hi Lucas
I would go for the through the wall rattler. Cheap but now days they even come with remote, this is what I have for my flat any way. I tried the portables and one model failed twice and I found them noisy and in your face. If you got a bigger one you could have it on lower fan speed which would make it quieter. A split looks better and quieter but costs more and involves a lot more work to fit. With the through the wall when it dies you just pull it out and slide a new one in - simple.

install monkey
03-05-2013, 06:58 PM
http://www.rapidclimatecontrol.com/includes/documents/2012/u/unico_on_off_115_hp_r_instruction_manual.pdf
mike ur prayers are answered- an indoor unit with condenser air on from outside- its expensive and crap too!
:D
Evening Tesla. If there were a portable a/c that had an outside air duct to feed the condenser as well as having another to exhaust, then i would consider portable a/c's as a reasonable option to "Window Shakers" or "Splits." ;)

BTW, i sleep better with some steady background noise instead of hearing the neighbours hip hop music or drunks making obscene comments on their way home from the pubs.:off topic:

r.bartlett
03-05-2013, 10:18 PM
cant get window rattlers in the uk:confused:

http://www.aircon247.com/p/390129/comfyair-70kw-24000btu-through-wall-air-conditioning-system-.html

install monkey
03-05-2013, 10:27 PM
last line of lucas post-Not looking for one from B&Q etc. Looking to get something correctly sized, reliable and up to job. Any advice appreciated.- hmmm think that falls into the b and q mickey mouse range,

and who specs a 32a supply and shows a pic of the thing on a 13amp plug top- refer to wikipedia -

RatingsBS 1363 plugs and sockets are rated for use at a maximum of 250 V ac and 13 A, with the exception of non-rewireable plugs which have a current rating according to the type of cable connected to them and the fuse fitted. The rating must be marked on the plug, and in the case of non-rewireable plugs the marking must be the value of the fuse fitted by the plug manufacturer in accordance with table 2 of the standard.[12] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_1363#cite_note-12) Typical ratings for non-rewireable plugs are 3 A, 5 A, 10 A and 13 A.[ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_1363#cite_note-13);)

http://www.aircon247.com/p/390129/comfyair-70kw-24000btu-through-wall-air-conditioning-system-.html

Tesla
04-05-2013, 04:11 AM
IM are window shakers illegal or just not sold. I don't understand why they wouldn't be available in the UK? They have their uses. Very cheap and almost any one can fit one with out needing licenses, tools gas and all that stuff.

install monkey
04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
just not sold by the the big manufacturers, fujitsu were probably the last to keep selling them but not seen any new ones for over 10yr, apart from the imported few that builders buy to throw in conservatorys, but then theyre mounted at knee height, could be down to the fact that they were akward to power or too noisy