PDA

View Full Version : N2 as refrigerant

kefah
01-05-2013, 09:39 PM
hi
why nitrogen is not use as refrigerant in air conditioning and refrigeration application
what the advantage and disadvantage

Brian_UK
01-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Because it doesn't work in the present equipment.

As you need to cool N2 to -195°C to become a liquid it seems a bit pointless to use it in AC or fridge.

kefah
10-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Because it doesn't work in the present equipment.

As you need to cool N2 to -195°C to become a liquid it seems a bit pointless to use it in AC or fridge.

thank u
any more info

FreezerGeezer
11-06-2013, 10:34 AM
I remember years ago being told of a total loss refrigerated truck using N2.
Iirc, there was a vent valve that opened at a given temperature to vent the warm N2. This in turn caused an expansion device to open, spraying fresh (low temp due to the pressure drop) N2 into the compartment.

question mark
17-06-2013, 11:43 AM
what is the difference between liquid and dry nitrogen , why liquid nitrogen does not disappear in atmosphere like other refrigerants liquid valve of bottle is open. i have seen liquid only on televsion but it stays like liquid even with the open lid .
i guess my question is understood.
thanks guys

FreezerGeezer
17-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Temperature.

chilliwilly
17-06-2013, 09:31 PM
If you could evaporate it and condense it within a system, it could be cascaded until the final cascade stage is glycol, cooling water to 0 deg C. Similar to providing a chiller for liquid cooled condensors.

The cost of such a system would not be economical, but one could be built as a training apparatus to offer a practical example and an explanation, why different types of refrigerants are used for different temperature applications. Along with the varying weights of refrigerant for the same amount of heat loads. And each stage of cascade could have an enthalpy chart to explain why its called entropy.

Waffle waffle waffle.

kefah
25-09-2013, 08:28 PM
thank u all