PDA

View Full Version : Power Consumption Question [Dainkin Inverter]

endre84
29-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Hi guys
I have a Daikin (w/ inverter) - FTXN 50l - 18000 BTU - EU 220V - cooling a server rack I have.
I have a question regarding the start-up power consumption.
Tech specs say cooling power consumption is 1.7kW however the thing I cannot find in the manual or anywhere on the internet is the startup power requirement.
For example, I saw in a diesel generator's booklet that with a regular AC you have to reserve 3x the rated power consumption of a unit. Is it the same for a DC inverter model? Is it less?
(Or another example is that you can't even use a 1kW drill with a 2kW generator because of the startup power consumption of the drill - the generator enters into overload protection)
Why I ask - Would a UPS be capable of running both the AC and the servers?
(need 2kW at most for the servers, I found a good deal on a 4200W dell UPS, which would shut down both the servers and the ac at the same time)

I might consider sending a small paypal gift to the one who gives me a proper answer.

r.bartlett
29-04-2013, 03:16 PM
inverter start up amps are lower than running amps. the running for this will be around 8 amps when on full load.

looks tight.

Mick13
30-04-2013, 08:08 AM
when electric motors start up, they draw excessive amps until they reach running speed.
however, inverters are different, the start up much slower, so this is greatly reduced.
the peak current draw though would be hard to determine without tech specs....

nevinjohn
01-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Hi guys
I have a Daikin (w/ inverter) - FTXN 50l - 18000 BTU - EU 220V - cooling a server rack I have.
I have a question regarding the start-up power consumption.
Tech specs say cooling power consumption is 1.7kW however the thing I cannot find in the manual or anywhere on the internet is the startup power requirement.

The cooling power consumtion is the max peak power consumed by the unit when the load is more. As you said, since this model is an inverter, it wont run on peak requirement all the time so the same 1.7kW can be considered along with a 25% safety!

For example, I saw in a diesel generator's booklet that with a regular AC you have to reserve 3x the rated power consumption of a unit. Is it the same for a DC inverter model? Is it less?
(Or another example is that you can't even use a 1kW drill with a 2kW generator because of the startup power consumption of the drill - the generator enters into overload protection)

Iverter and generator are rated in kVA. This is not kW. 2kVA inverter cannot produce 2kW. Google real power and apparent power, you might get the answers.

Why I ask - Would a UPS be capable of running both the AC and the servers?
(need 2kW at most for the servers, I found a good deal on a 4200W dell UPS, which would shut down both the servers and the ac at the same time)

I wouldnt suggest running server and air conditioner from the same batteries! Compressors in air conditioners are power hungry devices and can cause voltage surges, on the other hand servers are sensitive electronic equipmet which require pure sine wave!