PDA

View Full Version : Building a small cold room in a bakery

Twigdip
29-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Hi there,

We are setting up a small bakery in Leeds (UK) and need some help with old room info please!
We have a usable floor space of 1490mm wide and up to 2000mm long for the cold room. I need to know if it's possible to build one from cold room panels (how does one do this?) as newly built seems too expensive for us.
Also, how does one cool the fridge in a cheap way (some kind of cooler unit)
and does it definitely need ventilation out of the bakery or can we get away with ventilation out of the cold room only?

Many thanks for any help!

ian

Rob White
29-04-2013, 01:11 PM

A cold-room can be built into any space.

Panels can be bought and then fabricated into the space.

You would be best advised to look to a refrigeration company
to install / fabricate the cold-room and then the refrigeration unit.

As for the ventilation, the refrigeration unit will come in two halves
one in the cold-room and one outside, the unit on the outside needs
to be well ventilated and is normally installed on the outside of the building.

If you install it on the inside of the building it must be extremely well ventilated
and easy to access for maintenance. This would be decided by the refrigeration
company after talking to you and working through your options.

Look for a few local refrigeration companies to give you a quote and then
make your decision from that advise.

Regards

Rob

Tesla
29-04-2013, 03:55 PM
Hi Ian
Looks like you are skilled at baking bread and needing dough - seriously ewe should leave the coolroom to refrigeration techs who know and have skill in making it work. Local guys are the best to advise on your budget. You could have second hand panels cut down to size to fit your space to save some pennies.

monkey spanners
29-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Once your bakery is up and running you will realise the true value of your cheap cold room when it goes wrong and you lose stock and fail to make orders...

There is a wise saying 'Too poor to buy cheap'

You will be better off with a split system (indoor unit and outdoor unit) rather than a through the wall packaged unit that would be cheaper. I look after a couple of bakery units and the packaged ones are prone to blocking up with flour dust and breaking down.

sokold
29-04-2013, 10:09 PM
buy cheap.....buy twice

jazzman301975
10-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Good afternoon Ian,

I work for a refigeration company who suplies and installs cold rooms of the size you are talking about, i woudl be more than willign to come visit you and discuss possibel options and supply you with a quote to suply and install the rom if you like.

Regards,

Julian Selby

smpsmp45
11-05-2013, 06:08 AM
Take care of Sieving of Flour which also may happen in that area & then you have choked condenser coils as well as Choked evaporator coils. It is then very difficult to clean them up later.