PDA

View Full Version : Worst unit for fitting belts on?

djbe
01-02-2006, 08:38 PM
Spent a good hour today trying to get a set of belts on a TS500.

I'm sure it will be a lot easier next time now I know what I need to do but it set me wondering what the worst unit ever is for fitting belts on?

Any suggestions.

Latte
01-02-2006, 08:48 PM
Spent a good hour today trying to get a set of belts on a TS500.

I'm sure it will be a lot easier next time now I know what I need to do but it set me wondering what the worst unit ever is for fitting belts on?

Any suggestions.

Petter P6-500, took all morning to get the doors off let alone change the belt.

SNWD Version with 2 fan belts, pain in the bum to get tension on both right. Single belt one was easier just snot the tensioner pulley.

SMX Water pump belt (Before they introduced the opening door)
SMX Early type before belt guides introduced, main belt (78-826) goes loose and also then have to change rear water pump hose.
TR1000/Genisis comp belts that according to carrier JUST SLID OUT !!! when you tale the clutch off the flywheel.

Could go on but begining to sound like a grumpy old mobile engineer

Regards

Ray

Reeferjon
02-02-2006, 01:27 PM
2nd vote for SMX water pump (early with air filter by alt).
John.

alpha
02-02-2006, 03:21 PM
bahh, 6500's were a piece of p*** along with nwd,snwd.
Have not really seen many of the latest TK units to comment on that but never had a problem with Smx.

By far the worst so far for me has been a merc vito, 3am, freezing cold service station, it's easier in the day.

Could go on but begining to sound like a grumpy old mobile engineer

I met some right grumpy sod from rvs this morning, he was throwing a paddy by simply getting his ladder out, chucking his tools about like a kid lol, wombat....

djbe
02-02-2006, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=alpha]

By far the worst so far for me has been a merc vito, 3am, freezing cold service station, it's easier in the day.

Good old mercs. with a poly vee. Take the belt off thinking I'll remember how to put this back on, interrupted by the phone, come back and there goes a few hours trying every which way but the right way:D

Lazarus
02-02-2006, 10:49 PM
LOL Try a 16 cylinder compressor with 8 belts to get even tension and alignment... worse still a shaft seal change on one... takes two of you to lift the flywheel ..... and that does not include the belt guards...........

andy towle
02-02-2006, 11:58 PM
djbe, a hour ! engine chain bit tight then, i always wip off the exhaust....no skinned knuckles

alpha
03-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Good old mercs. with a poly vee. Take the belt off thinking I'll remember how to put this back on, interrupted by the phone, come back and there goes a few hours trying every which way but the right way:D

lol yes, that's the one :D

djbe
03-02-2006, 06:59 PM
djbe, a hour ! engine chain bit tight then, i always wip off the exhaust....no skinned knuckles

I did slacken the engine chain but didn't take the exhaust off to start with. Discovered it was a lot easier after the exhaust was off.

Like I said it will be a lot easier on the next one (as proved to be the case yesterday).

Mind you it doesn't help when the customer insists on having Scania roof spoilers fitted so you are trying to do everything arse about face from the roof of the body.:(

djbe
03-02-2006, 08:26 PM
LOL Try a 16 cylinder compressor with 8 belts to get even tension and alignment... worse still a shaft seal change on one... takes two of you to lift the flywheel ..... and that does not include the belt guards...........

You must have some big trucks over there for them to bolt things like that to the front!!!!!!!:D :D :D

reefermadness
04-03-2006, 10:07 PM
NWD's, SENTRY 50 series.... all easy stuff. Has anyone ever changed belts on RC II's or Super II's or SLR 50 series. Try a water pump belt on a early Carrier T-bird, the one with the small doors?

Hatefull reefers.