PDA

View Full Version : What can we do if liquid ammonia get inside the compressor??

gwapa
25-04-2013, 03:34 AM
Dear All
Please see attached picture
In an ammonia plant working Ts=-40ºC Tc= 30ºC , the compressor get ammonia liquid coming from the separator tank .
I know that the high level control did not work and did not stop the compresor

In the plant there are only one compressor and only one condenser
The operator stop the compressor and I suppose there are not damages in the compressor

What can we do after the ammonia liquid get in?

Thanks

RANGER1
25-04-2013, 04:06 AM
Gwapa, I can only suggest make sure sump heaters are working. You can run water over oil separator etc also maybe have a few portable decent size gas heater blowers to move things along.

Grizzly
25-04-2013, 06:03 AM
Basically, introduce heat and lots of it.

How depends upon what type of system and compressor.
Ranger has obviously been there. You need to boil off the remaining liquid.

When using this heat you need to be mindful of how to apply it without damage.
I know of a site where a space heater was left running overnight. Which melted all the control circuit wiring and the resultant damage took 6 months to rectify.

Try lowering your working level if this is not an isolated incident.
Grizzly

janegray78
25-04-2013, 10:23 AM
@Grizzly is right. Heat can help you in this case. Just you have to keep in mind that excessive heat can damage other things too. So take care.

Thanks.

RamAir95TA
25-04-2013, 05:36 PM

Thanks

Aside from adding the heat as mentioned to boil off the remaining liquid in the compressor THIS should be the next thing on your list to correct. Safeguards are there for a reason - definitely check it out.

Lodiev
25-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Also switch the evaporative condenser on in manual and ceep it running during the heating of the compressor, this will make the ammonia imegrate back to the reciever. Also close the suction valve on the compresor as the dry suction line is full of liquid ammonia and it will flud the compressor cranck case again the moment you start the compressor. The compressor's suction safety cut-out should be set as low as possible to ensure that it does not cut out when started with the suction valve closed. After start up first establish if the compressor is still in working condition by performing a efficiency test. If its fine then make sure the oil pressure and shaft seal is fine. Start the compressor and open the suction valve just a bit so that the liquid in the dry suction header is pumped out very slowly and during this check that the cranck case does not freez up again. Do not switch on the liquid pumps during this procedure. do this till the suction pressure in the accumulator reach about -10 deg c. then open the suction valve totally and listen for liquid hammering an the discharge valves if you hear this then close the suction valve again and start over. Also close the hp liquid supply to the accumulator during this procedure.

Hope you come right.
And please check the HP fload switch.

Nh34life
16-07-2013, 09:53 AM
How do you mean "ammonia liquid coming from the separator tank .
I know that the high level control did not work and did not stop the compressor" my friend , from the picture it does not look like flood back it looks like you have a pretty good super heat on the suction of the compressor, send us a picture of the frozen sump or separator, thats when you have a liquid problem.
Check your pressure temperature relationship before worrying about liquid. you will hear it if its a problem.

Josip
16-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Hi, gwapa :)

Dear All
Please see attached picture
In an ammonia plant working Ts=-40ºC Tc= 30ºC , the compressor get ammonia liquid coming from the separator tank .

In the plant there are only one compressor and only one condenser
The operator stop the compressor and I suppose there are not damages in the compressor

What can we do after the ammonia liquid get in?

Thanks

It will be better if you took a photo of a whole compressor where is visible much more of frozen parts ... anyhow

seems this was not a liquid flood back rather very wet suction vapors ...

as per suggestion of other members heat up your compressor with heat blowers until melt completely or use hot water to shower compressor, the best is the steam - BUT BE PATIENT ... take care about electrical cables ... maybe to switch off all electrical feed to compressor (but oil heater will be off too!) ... switch on crankcase oil heater and wait until feel it is very warm ... i.e. that means there is no ammonia within crankcase .... try to rotate compressor with hands to feel is there some resistance like residual liquid or maybe some damage ... if all is OK you can start machine again ... normally use pumps to pump liquid from separator to the evaporators (switch on the cold rooms) thus reduce liquid level within suction separator ....

I believe you can do this in the right manner ....

Hope this help a little ...
Best regards, Josip :)

RANGER1
16-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Gwapa has been warming up compressor package since 25th April, so should be hot enough now hopefully.

Josip
16-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Hi, RANGER1 :)

Gwapa has been warming up compressor package since 25th April, so should be hot enough now hopefully.

For sure overheated or roasted ... without liquid ammonia at all .... and oil is like a tar now ...
Good point, thanks, I did not look at the date of the first post .... for sure I'm getting old;), but our good advices will remain for some new kid on the block .... hopefully ...

Best regards, Josip :)

RANGER1
16-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Josip, the picture of iced suction line also gives impression that threaded plug is leaking. We did not hear of outcome but assume it was sorted

Nh34life
26-07-2013, 08:33 PM
true good spotting

T_G_I_Ammonia
22-01-2014, 02:11 AM
If you're worried about overheating or causing a fire in the engine room with the heaters, might I suggest doing what we do here at our plant...big fans and a garden hose. Best of luck.

T_G_I_Ammonia
22-01-2014, 02:12 AM
If you're worried about overheating or causing a fire in the engine room with the heaters, might I suggest doing what we do here at our plant...big fans and a garden hose. Best of luck.

Ha, just noticed I'm 4 years too late. Well anyhow, this may help someone in the future.