PDA

View Full Version : CARRIER / CARLYLE COMPRESSOR VALVE 06DA-660-065 stem seal replacement in situe

fixesanything
16-04-2013, 04:28 PM
I have a stem packing leaking on the above discharge valve and nothing to tighten.

Two questions
if i can get a packing kit or may be rob one from a new valve,
and i shut the suction valve, run the compressor to LP cutout then shut the discharge valve.

Is it possible to change the stem packing with out pumping the whole system down?

IE if the main valve seat is holding system pressure then packing should already just be on compressor side

Correct or not ? of if someone knows where i can get an exploded parts diagram for this valve

Secondly if the valve cap is plastic type and oring sealed is it designed to take 300psi ?

Valve cap is cracked so my question is with a new cap would i solve it ?

The valve is brazed to the pipe work and the system is R22 which is difficult to get in Europe so i want to avoid at all costs pumping the system down.

Any experience would be greatly appreciated

GHAZ
16-04-2013, 09:23 PM
hi pump down the compressor and take the gland nut off ,get some tight o rings and put them on the stem and between the valve body and screw the nut back on , when the stem is back seated ,tighten the gland nut ,which will cause the oring to get squashed or expand and make a seal .done it many times

GHAZ
16-04-2013, 09:26 PM
the plastic caps only take about 40 psi and at 300 psi they will break and cause an injury to anyone walking by

Brian_UK
16-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Remember that the plastic caps should only be hand tight, no spanners required.

monkey spanners
17-04-2013, 12:05 AM
I don't like the idea of working on the same valve thats holding the refrigerant back, what if you get it half apart and something goes wrong?

If you don't want to recover to a recovery cylinder why not pump the refrigerant into the low side of the system (assuming its volume if big enough) the suction and reciever valve would hold all the refrigerant back so you would be free to safely work on the discharge service valve.

fixesanything
17-04-2013, 08:14 AM
the plastic caps only take about 40 psi and at 300 psi they will break and cause an injury to anyone walking by

I thought as much i.e dust cap not secondary seal, but your tip with the orings may yet save a major pain in the ass.

Thanks

fixesanything
17-04-2013, 10:12 AM
I have found a valve assembly on ebay so will be able to see if i am being foolish or not, there is a gauge port on the valve housing so can see if the compressor side has pressure.

Unfortunately there is nothing to isolate with but a henry check valve between the compressor and the condenser.

I will let you know how i did, thanks for your time

Rob

frank
17-04-2013, 08:43 PM
You can download the service manual from here http://www.carlylecompressor.com/corp/details/0,2938,CLI1_DIV24_ETI9588,00.html#179310h

Tesla
18-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Don't rely on that check valve for holding the gas back. Use some oil on the thread and wind in and out a few times. If the 1/4" port is not used a good back seating can seal it some times with a few good wrenches of force to help it reseat.

fixesanything
13-05-2013, 12:58 PM
OK to close this thread,
The oring trick suggested by GHAZ worked.
When i looked at a new valve the gland is not compressible. or removable. so nothing to be gained there.

Tightening the gland will do nothing !

IE dont think you can rob the gland out a new valve and put it in an old one. Not true for valves of this type.

Thanks to all who replied.