PDA

View Full Version : Advice on capacity and type of airconditioners in condo in tropical country

coolnewbie
13-04-2013, 02:25 AM
I’m not sure if this is the right forum but I was hoping to get advice on what capacity and type of airconditioners to install in a condo unit.

The condo is a corner, 180sqm, 3-bedroom unit on the 35th floor of a building in the center of hot Manila near the equator. It is characterized by rows of floor-to-ceiling windows along the two walls.

The three bedrooms are along one side, facing north, and each have two large floor-to-ceiling windows. The master’s bedroom will be the room furthest from the corner. The bedrooms are about 10, 14 and 17 sqm.

There is a 70sqm open living/dining area in the center, with the dining area along the length of the other wall, 8.25 meters of straight floor-to-ceiling windows. East of the dining area, on the inner side of the open area, is the living area with a TV and couch. South of the living area is a 20sqm kitchen, which is also open. There is a bar counter with stools at the kitchen entrance, beside the living area.

The 6.25 sqm machine room for compressors is south of the dining area and west of the kitchen. The pipe length needed from the machine room to the bedrooms is almost 25 meters, except for the master’s bedroom which is farthest and needs almost 30 meters. The machine room can likely fit five compressors, stacked, with ducting to the window/vent. It may fit six (and it is unlikely all airconditioners will be used all at the same time).

I am considering top Japanese brands such as Daikin, Panasonic and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

My current plan is to have one wall-mounted, single split inverter aircon in each bedroom and the kitchen, plus a larger single split in the living area and the dining area.

Specifically:
17sqm master bedroom – 2.0 hp
10 sqm guest bedroom – 1.0 hp
14 sqm study – 1.5 hp
dining area – 2.5 hp
living area – 2.5 hp
kitchen – 1.5 hp

I am not sure the kitchen unit (to be placed on the far end of the kitchen, with air going towards the bar counter) is needed, but it might be to help cool the whole open area on a hot afternoon with guests present.

Some contractors propose that the living area and kitchen units should be replaced by a 3.0 hp cassette, ceiling-mounted aircon between the living area and kitchen, to ensure more even air circulation. A cassette inverter unit is 150% more expensive than a wall-mounted unit, though, and I am less concerned with even air circulation as I only need to have a wall-mounted unit cooling the couch area most days.

Questions:

1) Are the above six units enough?

2) Do I need to upgrade some bedroom units (say, 1.0 hp to 1.5 hp) because the pipe length for a smaller compressor is too short?

3) Do I need a cassette type unit in my living room?

4) Do I need a separate unit in my kitchen?