PDA

View Full Version : Change a 19 year old Amana Fridge/Freezer?

rootsboy
10-04-2013, 09:40 AM
We have a 19 year old Amana ASX22W fridge freezer that we inherited from my parents 12 years ago. The unit is still running even though it has been through 3 moves and is now being used in Spain.
I did a consumption text on it and it seems to be using about 3.00kw's a day ( double then most new fridge/freezers.) but that does not bother me, the only problem seems to be the door seals are quite shabby, and there is some rust where the door seal meats the body work at the base.
My questions are:

1. Would it be worth getting new door seals for this unit, considering its age. i think the official one's with the magnets are about £200 each.

2. If it does go wrong in the next few years, what would i ever replace it with? The shelves are super strong inside, (i don't see that on most modern units) and the fridge space is quite important as we seem to use it all, this unit has 14.6 cubic foot (413.43 cubic liters)
the freezer space is not so important.
Things like ice-maker don't bother me, but is does need to fit into a 92 cm wide space. I have been looking at makes like Bosch, Siemens, Liebherr. More for reliability, but Liebherr would end up being to wide to do a side by side system. Bosch and siemens look a bit flimsy inside.
I was even looking at a Smeg fq60xpe here in spain, it has the right size, and the possibility of extra fridge storage, but reading about reliability has put me off.
And i also have to consider the questionable costumer service we get here in spain, which does put me off buying another american fridge freezer.
And brands like subzero are well out of my liege, so are there any other options out there, even maybe a professional brand?

frank
10-04-2013, 08:45 PM
If you need door gaskets, contact GASKET GUY (http://gasketguyuk.com/)

Nowhere near £200 for a replacement seal.