PDA

View Full Version : Samsung DVM +4 with Hot Water Recovery - MCU Required?

SeyBrew
10-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Hello,

I have been given a system design that looks a little odd and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Samsung DVM +4 System in conjunction with Hot Water Recovery?

What I find strange is that the piping network map generated is calling for MCU's feeding all the indoor units as opposed to normal Y branches.

From my understanding, you would only need one MCU feeding the Hydro unit for hot-water generation and the rest of the system could be piped up just using Y-Branches.

To clarify, we are in a tropical environment so will never need the heat/cool option and thus no need for the MCU switch-over ability for the indoors.

I am not looking forward to having to install a load of MCU units if I don't need too as they are bulky and noisy and seem to be a good point of failure. The piping increases as well.

Anyway, is there some reason why Samsung have put in these MCU's everywhere or is it just a mistake as I suspect?

SeyBrew
16-04-2013, 07:27 AM
No one? I simply can't figure out why it is designed the way it is.

RusBuka
16-04-2013, 11:44 AM
You cant do whis. Only MCU unit everywhere.

Loops
16-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Seybrew,

I reckon you are only thinking of 2-pipe heat pump DVM systems as they use 'Y' joints only.

The DVM-plus4 heat recovery systems are 3-pipe and must use MCU (BS-boxes).

Cheers

Loops

SeyBrew
18-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Seybrew,

I reckon you are only thinking of 2-pipe heat pump DVM systems as they use 'Y' joints only.

The DVM-plus4 heat recovery systems are 3-pipe and must use MCU (BS-boxes).

Cheers

Loops

Thanks Loops - this is the answer I got back from Samsung.

I struggle with understanding why. Looking at the literature the 'third' pipe to the MCU's is only in operation during the heating mode of the indoors. Since I don't need this (tropics) I can't see a mechanical reason why I can't use two pipes and Y-Branches for the indoors & just have an MCU with the third pipe and hydro unit piped on the first branch.

Anyway, I guess I'll just disengage brain and do what I am told, even if it seems totally wrong.