PDA

View Full Version : Dry Cooler Sizing 500kW - what options do I have?

alexhk
09-04-2013, 10:52 AM
I am wondering if anybody here can give me some pointers on dry cooler (air cooled heat exchanger?) sizing for 500kW heat load. The brand doesn't matter, Liebert is fine but also noname. I want to get an idea of what size I am looking at so that I can estimate the real estate on our podium required, and pump size etc...

We have 20 stations with a 45 LPM (12 GPM) so total flow 900 LPM (240 GPM).

Total flow: 900 LPM / 240 GPM
Fluid is water (0% glycol)
Inlet Temp: 45 C / 95 F
Outlet Temp: 35 C / 113 F
Ambient temp: max 30 C / 86 F
Site elevation: Sealevel + 20m (3rd floor at coastal city)
RH: max 70% in summer

We would like to have a minimum of 2 dry coolers for redundancy. We also want to keep pressure drop low (there is already enough inside when we have to run the pipes to 20 stations).

Thanks a lot in advance, even if it's just basic information it will be very helpful. We are electronic guys but unfortunately on budget (who isn't) so we need to know what we need before we contact professionals.

Alex

The Viking
09-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Alex,

There are lots of different options, especially when you say "minimum of 2" is that duty and standby or 2 parralel taking 50% of the load each?
Horizontal or vertical?
Flat or V shaped?
Sound an issue?
Water spray system to reduce the size/enhance performance on hot days?

I've made some quick selections for you, if you send me an email I will send you some spec. sheets.

:cool:

The Viking
09-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Alex,
You seems to have choosen not to recieve private messages...

alexhk
09-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Thanks a lot for answering my questions. It seems the PM function is turned off on the forums? I also can't find a way to send PMs.

2 total no standby and no safety margin.

V-shape seems the best bang for the buck, isn't it?

We have a small 70kW unit in v-shape using 3 600mm fans.

Sound is not an issue as far as I know, but I guess this depends what dB level we are talking about.

Since currently we have no info at all (trying some online calculators) any info you could provide is very appreciated!

Thank!
Alex

PS: We are in Hong Kong and in the electronics field. So if we can offer some info in return (very unlikely seeing you are from the UK) don't hesitate to ask!