PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Digital Inverter range?

Slim R410a
29-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Im pricing up A/C for 15 shops. Most are roughly the same size and it worked out 13 of them would require a 10.0kw cassette, 1 a 6.0kw cassette and the other a 7.1kw ceiling suspended split.

Im thinking of using the new Toshiba RAV digital inverter range, although I only usually ever fit Mitsi Electric or Daikin, but here are my reasons;

1) The Toshiba 10-14kw range outdoor unit use only a single fan configuration and weigh 77kg. Most of the shops I have surveyed do not have much space outside for the condensing units, i.e they will literally be on a wall in someone's 'back yard'! This would help matters greatly!
(Daikin and Mitsi both twin fan units and at least 106kg)

2) Toshiba 10.0kw model requires only a 20A supply.
(Daikin S/I 30A, N/I 40A. Misti P/I 32A, N/I 32A)

3) Toshiba range works out the least expensive. (out of the inverters) The customer wants good kit but also a good price.

So has anyone had any experience with this kit before?
I've only ever fitted 4 Toshiba non-inverters, 2 years ago, they seemed good kit, never had any problems, just the outdoors were a bit loud!

eggs
29-01-2006, 05:41 PM
i've been fitting the 12.5kw lately 10/10 i say. Good kit.

cheers

eggs

frank
29-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Good reliable kit but slightly noisey. I do like the build of the cassette grille - nice and chunky doesn't bend like some I could mention.

Slim R410a
29-01-2006, 08:24 PM
i've been fitting the 12.5kw lately 10/10 i say. Good kit.

cheers

eggs

Thats what I like to hear! Do the 12.5kw also require only 20A and are the drain connections still 1" bsp?

Slim R410a
29-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Good reliable kit but slightly noisey. I do like the build of the cassette grille - nice and chunky doesn't bend like some I could mention.

Daikin perhaps? I like their cassettes but I think Mitsi win hands down, but probably because I'm so used to fitting them!

Always use Daikin for domestic installs, the wall mounts and flexi's are hard to beat. Outdoors are more suited to homes too.:)

eggs
29-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Thats what I like to hear! Do the 12.5kw also require only 20A and are the drain connections still 1" bsp?

not sure about the 20a, the sparkies see to that but i do know they are single phase. and yes the drains are the same as everything else:- 3/4 overflow with a straight connector on to make the size up.
Incidently we have also been installing the tosh lossney/vam type recouperator thing. they are a nightmare to wire up

cheers

eggs

Andy
29-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Hi:)
the 12.5kW unit is probably only a 16amp single phase supply. The firm I work for uses them by the lorry load. Good kit, effecient QUIET and good value for money.:)
Outdoor unit is light and strong, one man can lift it, two can move it anywhere. All 410a and twin rotary compressors.:)

Kind Regards. Andy:)

Slim R410a
31-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
Much appreciated:)

rbartlett
31-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi:)
the 12.5kW unit is probably only a 16amp single phase supply. The firm I work for uses them by the lorry load. Good kit, effecient QUIET and good value for money.:)
Outdoor unit is light and strong, one man can lift it, two can move it anywhere. All 410a and twin rotary compressors.:)

Kind Regards. Andy:)

they are 3 phase then ??

Cheers

Richard

fixit
31-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Slim- been fitting them since I stopped using Daikin about a year now, no prob.'s good heating.

Richard- they take single phase and convert it into 3 phase and vary the frequency for the compressor

Slim R410a
18-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Think Mitsi are now following this single fan configuration as just brought out a new inverter range and the 10.0kw (100) model is the same size as the current 60 and 71.

Good news for installers, hopefully Daikin and others will follow this trend?

rbartlett
18-04-2006, 07:15 PM

Richard- they take single phase and convert it into 3 phase and vary the frequency for the compressor

only just got round to answering...

i just don't see a 12.5 kw on a 16a c/b -daikin is 32a with a fla of 21ish

cheers

richard

Loops
24-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Richard,

These systems are soft start, single phase so forget start currents.

If we look at the two 12.5Kw systems Toshiba offer (known as Digital Inverter and Super Digital Inverter) the max running currents are as follows;

Digital inverter = 19.2A
Super Digital = 16.5A

So 20A for either should do, but mostly I see them on 32A breakers.

I think 16A would be a bit tight !

The Super Digital versions are lower power consumption & longer pipe runs. The trade off is that they are twin fan style, but hey that's no problem we've been using them for years.

Cheers

Loops

frank
24-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey Loops - :)

Richards post was over a year ago mate ;)

cool#9
24-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi
In my opinion Toshiba inverter range is most of the best product on the market...
Don't forget they sold inverter product in the early eighties like no other brand.
Ten years ago i went to Plymouth factory and be surprised by the quality (before being member of Carrier group ). Toshiba rarely failed about quality.
In France they try to increase the market of the VRF and they're about to succed step by step due to their prescription ( 48% for Daikin's VRV at this time but this will change because of their high price of product and service ).
It's a good challenger you just have to take care of the noise level...as frank says
Regards
cool#9

Slim R410a
08-10-2010, 12:35 PM
not sure about the 20a, the sparkies see to that but i do know they are single phase. and yes the drains are the same as everything else:- 3/4 overflow with a straight connector on to make the size up.
Incidently we have also been installing the tosh lossney/vam type recouperator thing. they are a nightmare to wire up

cheers

eggs

Hi Eggs,

Why are the Tosh Heat Exchangers a nightmare to wire up? I've never bought one as the Lossnay or VAM is always cheaper.

Been using Toshiba Digital/Super Digital kit now for last 18 months - As said previously 10/10, easy to install, reliable and more energy efficient than others and nice single fan outdoor units!

We have also recently installed 3No. Air Handling Unit applications using 3No. Large Capacity Digital Inverter RAV-SM2804AT-E Outdoors connected to 3No. AHU's (manufactured by ourselfs) and RBC-AHU1 Interface which I believe is one of the first examples of this in the UK since its release in April. (my rep knows of one other install)
We orignally specced 3No. PUHZ-P250's then changed to Toshiba due to the higher COP.

eggs
08-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Jeeeez this is an old post.

They are in my opinion a nightmare to wire up for three reasons:

1) if you want to use the Tosh controllers, you have to change the standard PCB in the air handling unit to a different one.

2) If you use the SMF 1 thingy, you only get basic on/off control and the heat recovery function needs to be manually changed over by swapping the internal wiring around.

3) If you want full functionality without buying the std Tosh controller and PCB kit, you have to make up your own panel with fan speed switches, pre-heater switch and run on timer, speed control, recover mode change over etc.....

Cheers

Eggs

Slim R410a
08-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow... how can something so simple be so complicated!

I'll stick to Lossnay, infact I find that VAMs are cheaper and you can just use the standard BRC controller on these!

Space air also do a great bolt-on pre heater if required witch uses the same 16A supply. (500 and less model)

Anyway cheers for the info. :)

eggs
08-10-2010, 07:33 PM
No problem.

I now in fact now use the (dare I say it?) LG Eco V systems. Excellent piece of kit and at a good price.
I don't know if the rumour is true or not that it is actually re-badged Sanyo equipment though.

Cheers

Eggs

techguy
18-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Hi Eggs

NO deffo not SANYO equipment just googled it and the frames do not resemble any SANYO kit I am familiar with and I have worked for SANYO for past 6 years.
T