PDA

View Full Version : Refrigeration system flooded with salt water...

setrad7791
03-04-2013, 09:40 AM
I am currently working on a medium temp 0c brine system with a flooded type evaporator that has cracked the chiller and caused the refrigeration system to be flooded with salt water...bad I know!. Any ideas on flushing the system components? Or should I scrap the system and start from scratch.

Brian_UK
03-04-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm tempted to say scrap it. Don't know what you are using for your brine solution most most salts don't like mixing with air so as soon as you open the system up to clean it the corrosion will start.

RusBuka
04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Cut out and throw out everything. It is possible to leave only the condenser.

Tycho
04-04-2013, 06:24 PM
We have with great success used this company, http://www.ikm.com/, to clean contaminated chillers.

They use a chemical solution that holds 80C that is circulated in the chiller for 6 hours, then flush with fresh water for 2 hours. (depending on size of course).
After the cleaning you need to immediately start flushing with OFN and make sure you can drain low points anf get it ready for vacuuming.
May be costly, so it has to be compared to the cost of a new chiller and the work to replace it, in our cases it has been cost effective to use them to clean it.

I see they have contacts in Australia, but not sure if they do cleaning operations there.

any way, it doesn't cost anything to ask them for a price