PDA

View Full Version : water and refrigerant

r.bartlett
02-04-2013, 08:00 AM
if we put a cup of water into a reclaim bottle then add 10kg of R22 what happens to the water.

does it mix with the refrigerant

sit on top
sink to the bottom

RusBuka
02-04-2013, 08:17 AM
sink to the bottom

monkey spanners
02-04-2013, 06:21 PM
How did you get the cup to fit through the hole? :D

Years ago had a bottle of R134a that i was charging as vapour, (as wanted the overtime...) the bottle got frosty and because there wasn't any hot water on site to warm it i shook it to get the liquid gain some heat from the upper part of the cylinder. There was a noise from inside and you could feel a semi sold lump moving around in there.

I put the rest of the R134a in the system and when the cylinder warmed up i drained a half a cups worth of dirty black water! The system never showed wet or had a moisture problem after this but was scrapped soon after for other reasons.

I guess you could open the tap and see what comes out the dip tube!

On a more serious note i wonder if A gas would be know?

cadwaladr
02-04-2013, 09:40 PM
i always charge reclaimed refrigerant thru a filter/drier

frank
03-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Most of the cup (0.77% by volume) would be soluble with the R22, the remainder would 'float' on the top as R22 is more dense that water (1413kg/m3 against 1000kg/m3)

RusBuka
03-04-2013, 05:39 PM
I looked at information on 4 different sites, everywhere data inconsistent and different)))
Never trust anybody, especially to the Internet.
http://savepic.org/3164311m.jpg (http://savepic.org/3164311.htm)

Click4
26-04-2013, 12:52 AM
Is it ok to reuse reclaimed r134a?

I'm still quite new to all this.

But have somehow managed to accumulate around 10kg of reclaimed r134a in my recovery cylinder.
It was recovered through a filter that filters out any oil and sealants... Can't remember name now but inside it has a white filter white the refrigerant passes through and an aluminium catch tank so no oil and sealants should have made it as far as the recovery machine.

Also the recovery machine I have has a built in receiver drier, and oil catch tank.

So I'm guessing apart from dry air, there shouldn't be any other contaminants in my recovery cylinder like oil or moisture.

Just been a bit dubious about using 2nd hand refrigerant in customers cars, but clearly I need to use it somehow... And if it is useable then I may as well instead of buying another bottle of fresh refrigerant.

Would it have any downsides using the reclaimed stuff or is it as good as fresh stuff?

Thanks

Sumit
30-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Reclaimed refrigerant can be used specially if it is reclaimed with a proper recovery unit fitted with filter to remove the contaminants.Secondly, it depends on number of factors.]The most important question is what's the fault in machine or why we are recovering and reclaiming refrigerant ?[/B]? e.g compressor motor burnt out, compressor oil needs replacement, leakage from any point,TEV faulty.If you feel the related fault has contaminated the refrigerant upto some extent then re-using it can be dangerous otherwise no issues.

In developing nations, mostly technicians use reclaimed refrigerant even if they haven't recovered with a recovery unit (By using a reciprocating/rotary compressor of air condtg system)...

Now, one question arises, if we are not using the reclaimed refrigerant, where should we dump it ?? especially refrigerants having high GWP and ODP.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance..

install monkey
30-05-2013, 08:44 PM
you get billed for returning a bottle with contaminates, also most reclaim bottles are 9kg fill, so with the mass of the water add ur 10kg- billed again:p
if we put a cup of water into a reclaim bottle then add 10kg of R22 what happens to the water.

does it mix with the refrigerant

sit on top
sink to the bottom