PDA

View Full Version : Practical H2O hoses or pipes for 4x30LPM (4x8GPM) flow rate

alexhk
01-04-2013, 07:32 AM
I have received very valuable feedback here on RE which helped me to make copper cooling coils last year. We are scaling up since the prototypes worked very well. When I say "we", I mean us electronic guys that know nothing about refrigeration :/

I am now building a bigger "box" with with much bigger coils. Each coil has a pressure drop of ~200 mbar (2.9psi) and we need a flow rate of around 30 LPM (8 GPM). They are made of 3/4" copper tubing. I need to install 4 for each box, so the total flow is 120 LPM (31.7 GPM).

If this is working well, I am installing 4 to 6 of these boxes in an even bigger box. So I am looking at a flow of 480 LPM (126 GPM).

(our total system is now at around 100 GPM so we have a big pump and are not completely new, but these dimensions are far beyond what we can't even imagine ;-)

Would you have any practical advice what hoses we could use to connect to the coils? Any manifolds or product lines you could recommend? If not possible at all, then we would consider using PVC tubing or something else.

Thanks again for all your feedback! I am not really in the position to give back any valuable info about refrigeration, but if there is anything I can help with for electronics in Asia (based in Hong Kong), SMT etc, please let me know.

PS: A complete different topic is probably why we are using water for this. Since we are not REs we don't really know that answer to that. I'll probably post another topic to understand if we could use something else, since the temperature we need in the coil is just around 35°C/95°F.

Tesla
01-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Hi alexhk
we do need some electronic help here http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?38272-ARDUINO-Controls&highlight=arduino
We need to know where to buy (cheap) smart sensors which are rs485 and what (interface PCB) can we use for comms down the 24vac power lines from this http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?38473-twin-wire-with-shielded-cable&highlight=two+wire
Your help would be appreciated a lot. We are very interested in open source controllers for the HVACR industry.
Copper would be a good choice and many fittings are available from cu fittings suppliers. Considering it is a prototype you could use pvc as the price will be cheaper, depending on the system pressure. PVC has a habit of breaking and water causes a lot of damage. You can get large diameter flexible plastic hose for connecting up. A VSD could help with variable flows. You could give us a little more detail as to what the product is and perhaps a picture of the first prototype. In writing that I understand if you can't.