PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a very quiet split A/C

kolfleading
24-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a very quiet 2.5 kW split (ductless) A/C system to install in my bedroom. I'm very sensitive to noise.

So far, based on budget constraints and authorised resellers available in my city, I've narrowed my choice to these models:

Mitsubishi Electric MSZ-GE25VA
- Fan speed: 470 RPM
- Sound pressure: 19 dbA
- Air flow: 246 cubic meters per hour

Mitsubishi Electric MSZ-FH25VE (aka Kirigamine Hara)
- Fan speed: 550 RPM
- Sound pressure: 20 dbA
- Air flow: 234 cubic meters per hour

Daikin FTXG25 (aka Daikin Emura)
- Fan speed: 780 RPM
- Sound pressure: 22 dbA
- Air flow: 228 cubic meters per hour

The data above is in "Silent" mode.

Does anyone have any real-world experience with these units?

Am I right in assuming that the one with the lowest Fan RPM would be the quietest?

Are there any other similar models I could consider?

The Viking
24-03-2013, 05:03 PM
All of your selections above are from reputable manufacturers so should be OK.

However, you do have to decide what your main restraint is.

If it is budget, then look at the costs and go for the cheapest. If it truly is noise then the best option would be the one you discarded, ducted - just put the main bulk of noise generation somewhere else. Failing that, over size the unit, a bigger unit operating on minimum fanspeed will always be quieter than a smaller unit operating flat out.

:cool:

kolfleading
24-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Ducted you say? Interesting...Can you please give me an example of a ducted unit you would consider?

This is for a 2 bedroom apartment in a concrete building. The bedroom I'm trying to cool is small (10 sqare meters).
All interior divider walls are about 8 cm thick (~ 3 inches) reinforced concrete.

install monkey
24-03-2013, 07:32 PM
ducted units are quiet, anyway- check additional settings for static duct pressure switch, so you can furthur quieten the unit

r.bartlett
25-03-2013, 06:46 AM
just fit a wall mount at 19bd you won't hear it

kolfleading
06-05-2013, 09:10 PM
I have installed one Daikin FTXS25K + RXS25K in the living room and one Mitsubishi Electric MSZ-GE25VA + MUZ-GE25VA in the bedroom. They are both rated at 19db.
At night, I can hear the air flowing and whooshing through both of them.

The Daikin indoor unit is a little bit quieter than the Mitsubishi Electric.
The Daikin outdoor unit is much more quiet than the Mitsubishi Electric.

The plastic casing of the Daikin creaked maybe twice during one hour. The plastic casing of the Mitsubishi Electric did not creak at all.

install monkey
06-05-2013, 09:22 PM
ear plugs??

todd86
06-05-2013, 09:38 PM
All units are a good choice but i have found Dakin to be whisper quiet my self i would choice Dakin for many more reasons than noise level they are the dogs when it comes to A.C.

Adam.
11-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Installed both brands, and have also found the daikin to be quieter, just have to allow for extra clearance above unit for the rising cover.

If cost is the main concern, Zen from ME is cheaper with no extra clearance issues, can fit above doorways easily.