PDA

View Full Version : Power Factor Help

MayankBhatia
19-03-2013, 08:11 PM
Hi friends I am a newbie here..
i have understand Power factor somewhat but my one doubt is as far as i read is to give magnetizing current we use capacitor bank,so that we dont have load on main transformer but capacitor is charging and its getting charged by taking current from main transformer so in short current is taken not directly then what is difference?For ref i am attaching a pic1013110132

So please comment friends

Yuri B.
29-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Hello.
The angular shift between voltage and reactive currents is 90 degrees - the inductive one lags, while the capacitive one leads the voltage. So, shift between reactive currents is 180 degrees. Coupled rightly together they compensate each other and give you PF unity when there is no shift between voltage and current. Thus, back emf current caused by changing magnetic field in the coil is let to charge the capacitor - instead of letting it circulate in the power lines causing heat and power losses, then the capacitor disharges through the coil causing magnetic field and so on.

MayankBhatia
29-03-2013, 04:47 PM
but the thing is by anyhow current is being supplied to capacitor so it means current flowing in power lines and causing heat losses.

Yuri B.
30-03-2013, 09:21 AM
but the thing is by anyhow current is being supplied to capacitor so it means current flowing in power lines and causing heat losses.

In PF correction are interested energy providing companies - not we, clients. They only induce (big) consumers to be involved by making them pay for PF not being kept close to unity.
You should read more on electricity fundamentals to understand more about reactive power.