PDA

View Full Version : Scents

r.bartlett
12-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Chaps

In the US you can buy R22 smelling of pine. Handy if it leaks..

Enviro-Safe™ 22a Refrigerant is different, because it is highly refined! Enviro-Safe does not contain the “rotten egg, sulfur, propane” odor. We add a fresh “Pine Scent” to our refrigerant to assist consumers in leak detection.

Is there an additive for R410a which can add a similar smell to assist leak finding ??

Tayters
12-03-2013, 10:50 PM
http://www.acr-news.com/news/news.asp?id=1897&title=Waitrose+adds+Bakewell+tart+scent+to+sniff+out+leaks

Don't know if this took off. Probably cost too much dough.

monkey spanners
12-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Think that R22a stuff is propane with a different stink put in!

Climate center are doing ofn with 5% hydrogen in, with the special leak detector its supposed to make finding 3 gram a year leaks easy.

r.bartlett
13-03-2013, 07:40 AM
http://www.acr-news.com/news/news.asp?id=1897&title=Waitrose+adds+Bakewell+tart+scent+to+sniff+out+leaks

Don't know if this took off. Probably cost too much dough.

Thanks that's the article that set me off on this quest. :D

I have emailed A-Gas and also the chap named in the article (no longer works for Waitrose) his office is very close to home..

Coorsman777
13-03-2013, 05:01 PM

Climate center are doing ofn with 5% hydrogen in, with the special leak detector its supposed to make finding 3 gram a year leaks easy.

I have heard of this being done on large supermarket systems. 500 micron vacuum before hydrogen leak check 25 micron after. EPA here was trying to push for awhile but leak detector is too expensive $5000usd.

Frikkie
13-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Chaps

In the US you can buy R22 smelling of pine. Handy if it leaks..
Is there an additive for R410a which can add a similar smell to assist leak finding ??

Maybe I could train my jack russell to find my leaks on my coldroom machine.

Oh I just saw it was a thread from 5 years ago. Sorry.

THE DUDE
15-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Hmmmm....I was wondering why the Compressor Room smelled "Forest Fresh" the othe day.:o

R717
16-03-2013, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=Frikkie;275154]Maybe I could train my jack russell to find my leaks on my coldroom machine.

One of Ammonia's good points. You don't need any fancy gizmos to know that there is even the smallest leak.

I often wondered why they don't add something to refrigerants to make them smell, like they do with natural gas ?

But i have heard that the Ethly Mercaptan added to natural gas and propane to give it a odor would be removed by the dessicant in a filter dryer if used with refrigerants.....

install monkey
16-03-2013, 06:30 PM
nitrogen and hydrogen make ammonia, don't you mean helium??:confused:

monkey spanners
16-03-2013, 07:38 PM
nitrogen and hydrogen make ammonia, don't you mean helium??:confused:

Thats what i thought, but says hydrogen on info from climate center...

http://www.acr-news.com/news/news.asp?id=3216&title=Leak+detection+gas+pinpoints+the+smallest+leaks