PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed: No idea what to do

djcherokee76
10-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Hi,
I'm simply a homeowner who has a 6yr. old Bryant hvac system. Warranty only ran for 5 years.
Recently one morning I see the system shedding ice when the fan came on.
Called local service company who I have a contract with for 2x/year maintenance (on 3rd contract with them currently). They stated there are two "pin hole" sized leaks in my coil and want $1324.00 USD to replace. According to the company, their routine checks "would never have caught two such small holes".

Last paperwork I can find was from July 2012 where they did a "PM Tune UP" according to the notes and the fan/contactor/capacitors/amps/coil were all "OK". High/low pressure reads 305/110(82 degrees F). Previous paperwork shows high pressure anywhere from 177-235 and that the contactor was "slightly pitted" (no idea what that means). I've noticed a few inconsistencies in paperwork with this company's inspections.

My Questions:
Do I have an argument against the maintenance company (who I also bought the unit from) that they should have caught this before????

Can I argue they sold me a lemon (manager states it's a known issue with Bryant systems and they changed their manufacturing practices) and ask to cover my cost or at least split 50/50??

Or am I simply screwed for $1324.00?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers!
Greg

Tesla
10-03-2013, 04:11 AM
Hi Greg
When you're out of warranty that's it. But what were you paying for the service contract per year? There could be another company that could give you a better deal. Unfortunately the cost of gas repairs has gone through the roof in most countries. Get a few more quotes from 2 more companies for the repair and maintenance/service contract.

Brian_UK
10-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Sadly pin-holes can develop almost anytime with copper tubing. The manufacturer of the unit, Bryant, rely on the supplier of the coils/copper to provide a good product and do not have much control over that side of things; other than not buying the cheapest available.

Pin-holes can be repaired, depending on location but without seeing the problem it is difficult for us to provide 100% advice.

r.bartlett
10-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Hi,
I'm simply a homeowner who has a 6yr. old Bryant hvac system. Warranty only ran for 5 years.
Recently one morning I see the system shedding ice when the fan came on.
Called local service company who I have a contract with for 2x/year maintenance (on 3rd contract with them currently). They stated there are two "pin hole" sized leaks in my coil and want $1324.00 USD to replace. According to the company, their routine checks "would never have caught two such small holes".

Last paperwork I can find was from July 2012 where they did a "PM Tune UP" according to the notes and the fan/contactor/capacitors/amps/coil were all "OK". High/low pressure reads 305/110(82 degrees F). Previous paperwork shows high pressure anywhere from 177-235 and that the contactor was "slightly pitted" (no idea what that means). I've noticed a few inconsistencies in paperwork with this company's inspections.

My Questions:
Do I have an argument against the maintenance company (who I also bought the unit from) that they should have caught this before????

Can I argue they sold me a lemon (manager states it's a known issue with Bryant systems and they changed their manufacturing practices) and ask to cover my cost or at least split 50/50??

Or am I simply screwed for $1324.00?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers!
Greg

Phone Bryant customer care and tell them the story. maybe they will provide the parts FOC. Otherwise replace the whole outdoor unit which will slightly dearer but you get the whole unit 5 yr warranty which maybe worth it in the long run if you plan to stay.