PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 60hz appli in UK

nilechamp
26-01-2006, 04:40 PM
I am trying to source a 60Hz (110V or 230V) fridge and freezer in the UK, together with all other kitchen appliances. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Argus
26-01-2006, 06:30 PM
I am trying to source a 60Hz (110V or 230V) fridge and freezer in the UK, together with all other kitchen appliances. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We are wondering why you want 60 hz kit, but you are unlikely to find a retailer for several reasons. Briefly:

The public supply in the EU is harmonised by law at 230 volts / 50 Hz single phase, or 400 volts 3 phase. This is effectively from the Atlantic to the Urals, even in non EU countries. So all 60 HZ equipment will have to be imported.

There are strict safety rules (enforced by law) as to what an electrical retailer can sell you. Because the market in the EU is vanishingly small to non-existent for 60 Hz products they are unlikely to comply with EU safety rules. These 60 Hz products may be perfectly safe but may not carry the necessary compliances for sale in the EU. It is illegal, for instance in the UK, to sell any appliance without a BS specified plug ready fitted. This means that ?continental? 2 pin plugs are outlawed.

Your last resort is to import them direct from the USA, or elsewhere. However, be careful of stiff import duties and compliance queries from the customs people. There are certain refrigerants, for example chlorinated gases, that are legal in some countries that may not be imported in appliances and sold under any circumstances into the EU.

________
gm foods (http://gmfoods.info/)

bernard
26-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi I change a compressor on one of H.M.S ships while it was harboured in portsmouth,It was a caravell bottle cooler 110v and I,m pretty sure it was 60hz.It took me 3 hrs to travel there about 3 hrs to get booked in, 4 hrs hours to change it. Just as I was finishing they had a security drill with a simulated terrorist threat,I was trapped in there for six hours and another 3 hrs home.:D

So try caravell:)

Regards Bernard

podge1964
27-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Try Hotfrost Ltd , 0208 399 7151 , surbiton in surrey , imports from all over the world ,all brands best bet.