PDA

View Full Version : Smeg FAB30 NES5 Advice anyone have experience of these?

DCElectrix
07-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Hi, I am a sparky and in a mad moment bought a not working Single compressor Retro Fridge Freezer. I being (slightly big headed) thought on hearing freezer works fine fridge doesnt Ah ha fan!

Well that will learn me.

Ok so freezer came down to -32'c overnight compressor still running in the morning. Fridge was 16'c approx what the garage its standing in was.

I know it is rated to work at room temp and 16'c may be a little low but the fridge has no visible evaporator plate or any area that feels cool. There is no air ducting or my fan!

Underneath next to the compressor there are the usual black painted Copper? pipes there are also 2 others which I would guess are steel and appear to have been cut off. They are 4" long and go in the same direction as the ones for the refrigerant to the freezer compartment.

My questions are:
How likely is it someone has cut off the fridge cooling and left the freezer working? and Why? a leak I would guess but WTF a massive fridge that doesnt work and small freezer that works??

Any other explanation for the unsealed ends of the two pipes coming from the underside they seem much less pliable and maybe a little bigger?

Finally anyone familiar with these units and can throw any light on these mysteries?

Dave

DCElectrix
07-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Bit more thinking, there are some areas within the freezer, you can see the pipe runs but some areas look as though they have been heated up or burnt?

Any more ideas?

tonto33
07-03-2013, 06:14 PM
thermostat fail on these quite alot so i would start there