PDA

View Full Version : Small Searle Cooler

Abe
25-01-2006, 09:48 AM
A heater ( the middle one) failed on a small Searle 2 fan cooler the other day. ( Its in a freezer room)

I disconnected it, increased the defrost period and the bottom heater is now responsible for defrosting the whole coil.

The middle heater is positioned within a void with a steel plate above it.

How do I remove it?? I tried tugging it , but it did not shift.

Would welcome some help

Abe

slingblade
25-01-2006, 10:50 AM
have a look for any clips. if there are none then tug harder.:D

clivet
25-01-2006, 11:27 AM
It could be that the heater rod has blown and split the casing so that it will not move past the surrounding fins, if this is the case then you are in the s**t a bit, are there any other drillings in the evap that will take the new heater? So that a new heater can be installed close to the old one?

Abe
25-01-2006, 01:12 PM
No Drill holes, The way this coil is designed , it it like split half way down the middle, so a new heater can easily be removed and a replacement slotted in.

As Sling says.........Ill try Tugging it little Harder

Thx

Brian_UK
25-01-2006, 01:46 PM
....... so a new heater can easily be removed and a replacement slotted in.Well, that didn't work then did it ? ;)

chillin out
25-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi Abe,

Don`t pull at it ...

The heater comes out with the metal plate. Bend the lugs at both ends on the plate, push it left then push the right side out the coil followed by the left side.

You will now find the heater is clipped to the plate.

Chillin:) :)

Latte
25-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Hi Aiyub,

Why is always the middle one that goes. As Chillin cay's just bend the lugs at each end and it will slide out although the slightest bit of ice in the coil and you are wasting your'e time trying.

I have lost count how many of these i have changed a little chef's around the country and each time i have had o get them to empty it overnight and switch it off to do it.

Good news is NRS usually have the heaters on the shelf

Regards

Fatboy

Abe
25-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Thx Chill..........Fatboy........

Ill have another go 2 moro, although, that one solitary heater at the bottom is somehow keeping the ice off

I do have the defrost on for a full 45 mins though, every 6 hours

Peter_1
26-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Aiyub,

Look once here http://www.searle.co.uk/techdoc/English/Installation%20and%20Maintenance/KG%20KS%20KM.pdf

I think it's a KS or KM you're talking about, that stylish one with the blue flat grilles on it.

tonto
27-01-2006, 07:07 AM
Have had the same happen to me once before which made the old heater very hard to remove when it blew it split apart in the middle of the evap.. Got a steel rod that slid in the hole and knocked the old one out....