View Full Version : Process clamp meters

02-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Dose anyone know any manufacturers apart from Fluke who make Process Clamp Meters. Im looking for one to check transducer milliamp outputs without breaking the control loop through a normal multimeter.

02-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Don't know who else make them but if you're desperate you can wrap the wire around the clamp several times to get a higher reading then divide it by the number if windings as long as the meter is accurate enough in the first place.

Failing that use the normal ammeter but be a bit crafty with connecting it without breaking the circuit (used to manage it when I was a grease monkey) - gold star if you can do it on a 240V feed though!


03-03-2013, 12:37 AM
A true RMS digital meter and multi turns as Tayters suggested should be an accurate indication with a low range clamp. Do a comparison using the meter as a shunt to get an accuracy indicator.

03-03-2013, 09:05 AM
It's a very tight space to get a even the smallest clamp meter in. I can get a reading with my multimeter in series with the transucer but once the transducer is disconnected the plant goes into back up control so I'm back to square one again. Looks like ill have to mortgage the house and buy a Fluke.

04-03-2013, 02:44 AM
I have seen at electrical wholesalers the new series with a U shaped current thingo as opposed to a clamp, not sure on the accuracy of though never used one. Flukes are a good investment long term in my opinion.

06-03-2013, 08:55 AM
I've got one of those. Its a Fluke T5 and that's too big to get in as well. Not to worry I've sold the kids and I'm buying a Fluke.