PDA

View Full Version : Daikin AC clicking every 2 hours

Gnarlyboarder
28-02-2013, 03:56 AM
G'day folks

I am new to the forum, so please bear with me.

I have recently had installed a Daikin system (exact model will be updated when I get home). Ever since the unit was installed, it has clicked every 2 hours. By clicking, I am referring to what sounds like a relay energising and then de-energising (with a 2 second interval between clicks). Daikin haven't witnessed the fault first hand, however have replaced the indoor unit, outdoor unit and control cable between the two.

We have also had the power on different circuits and it is now on its own dedicated power, however every 2 hours it clicks. Obviously it doesn't do this with the power off.

Errors codes have been checked and there is none displayed on the remote.

The unit works fine and doesn't experience any issues while it is running.

It has been suggested that its the new smart meter we have had installed in Victoria, however this seems to be a stab in the dark and would suspect more occurrences detailed on the Internet if that was the case, since Daikin is a popular brand and the majority of house in Victoria now have smart meters.

Also if it was something that the smart meter was doing, why is it always 2 hours after the power is applied. Power is never removed from the smart meter, just the ACU and as such if it was the smart meter the frequency of the clicking would remain constant during the day (just a thought).

So there you have it, bit of a quirky issue, but would appreciate any thoughts, or whether you have come across this issue before.

Cheers
Steve

Gnarlyboarder
28-02-2013, 06:01 AM
The model number is FTXS25LVMA.

Cheers

Steve

frank
28-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Can you explain the 'Clicking' a little more?

Is it just on the PCB, indoor unit, outdoor unit,? While the unit is running or 'Off'?

As it's a smart meter, is this dropping voltage to the A/C system on a regular basis?

More info would be good as it's difficult to see and hear it from here :D

Gnarlyboarder
28-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Hi Frank

so clicking, the best way to describe it is as a relay energising and the 2 seconds later de-energising. Say like a thermostat which reaches temperature then shuts off and then comes on again 2 seconds later...if that makes sense.

It is only on the indoor unit (I assume that there is a relay on the PCB as Daikin initially replaced the PCB) and only occurs when the unit is switched off (but has mains power applied).

The clicking occurs every 2 hours after mains power is applied. So if I turn of the mains power to the ACU and then switch it on again, 2 hours later the clicking will start. This to me suggests that its is not related to the smart meter as power to that is constant and any voltage drop would not then occur 2 hours later at a constant frequency?

I haven't ascertained if the smart meter is dropping voltage on a regular, however being an IT geek, I have a lot of IT equipment which is quite sensitive to any power fluctuations and this is OK. I have no other issues with any other appliances, all the lights in the house are ok and would suspect that if there were voltage issues the lights would flicker\dim and never see any do that.

I even other ACU's in the house which are OK (although they are not Daikin ACU's).

Hope that assists, please feel free to ask more questions should you have them.

Cheers
Steve

frank
01-03-2013, 08:51 AM
When the unit is switched off, do you have a little house icon on the display of the remote control with a key inside it?

Gnarlyboarder
02-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Hi Frank

No I dont.

Cheers
Steve

install monkey
02-03-2013, 11:08 PM
a daikin indoor is powered continuously- by using the remote to stop the unit still provides power to the pcb, is the clicking when the evap coil contracts and expands?? how long does it last when it starts clicking?

AbsoluteWDJ
03-03-2013, 09:54 AM
G'day folks

I am new to the forum, so please bear with me.

I have recently had installed a Daikin system (exact model will be updated when I get home). Ever since the unit was installed, it has clicked every 2 hours. By clicking, I am referring to what sounds like a relay energising and then de-energising (with a 2 second interval between clicks). Daikin haven't witnessed the fault first hand, however have replaced the indoor unit, outdoor unit and control cable between the two.

We have also had the power on different circuits and it is now on its own dedicated power, however every 2 hours it clicks. Obviously it doesn't do this with the power off.

Errors codes have been checked and there is none displayed on the remote.

The unit works fine and doesn't experience any issues while it is running.

It has been suggested that its the new smart meter we have had installed in Victoria, however this seems to be a stab in the dark and would suspect more occurrences detailed on the Internet if that was the case, since Daikin is a popular brand and the majority of house in Victoria now have smart meters.

Also if it was something that the smart meter was doing, why is it always 2 hours after the power is applied. Power is never removed from the smart meter, just the ACU and as such if it was the smart meter the frequency of the clicking would remain constant during the day (just a thought).

So there you have it, bit of a quirky issue, but would appreciate any thoughts, or whether you have come across this issue before.

Cheers
Steve

Is there any neon light switch spur for indoor unit? I've had a similar issue (not with Daikin) when the comms wire was used as a neutral through the neon light switch.

Gnarlyboarder
03-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Hi Install Monkey

I don't believe its the evap coil. Even when the unit hasn't been used in a long time it still clicks and it sounds like a relay energising. As for how long it lasts, its been 5 months now, every 2 hours unless I remove the mains power. When I re-apply the power (say after the 2 weeks that I was out of the country) it picked up where it left off, every 2 hours.

Cheers

Steve

Gnarlyboarder
03-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Is there any neon light switch spur for indoor unit? I've had a similar issue (not with Daikin) when the comms wire was used as a neutral through the neon light switch.

Hi AbsoluteWDJ

I will check and get back to you.

Cheers
Steve

Carolyn Rasmuss
04-03-2013, 04:53 AM
I have a similar clicking sound every two hours in my Daikon Air conditioner Model FTXS20LVMA. Since I work at a desk directly under it, I am acutely aware of this sound. It makes no difference how long it is since the unit was on. I have no smart meter - and the sound stops if I turn the unit off at the power switch, but this is effectively inaccessible to me. Tried to explain this to Daikon mechanic - who gave up trying to understand and installed a new part - the main operation unit at the right of the unit. Two hours later, there is the click again. My concern is that it is actually drawing a little power all the time. We have three other units and I have not heard the click, but they are in locations where you might not notice. I'd just like the click properly explained.
Carolyn

Gnarlyboarder
04-03-2013, 10:28 AM

Hi AbsoluteWDJ

So I have checked the indoor unit and there are no lights on it, so doesn't look to be the same issue. The sparky has changed the control cable so that has also been ruled out.

Cheers
Steve

Gnarlyboarder
04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
I have a similar clicking sound every two hours in my Daikon Air conditioner Model FTXS20LVMA. Since I work at a desk directly under it, I am acutely aware of this sound. It makes no difference how long it is since the unit was on. I have no smart meter - and the sound stops if I turn the unit off at the power switch, but this is effectively inaccessible to me. Tried to explain this to Daikon mechanic - who gave up trying to understand and installed a new part - the main operation unit at the right of the unit. Two hours later, there is the click again. My concern is that it is actually drawing a little power all the time. We have three other units and I have not heard the click, but they are in locations where you might not notice. I'd just like the click properly explained.
Carolyn

Hi Carolyn

We are also aware as the unit is in the bedroom so we get the clicking all night long if we don't turn off the mains power.

After having the indoor and outdoor unit replaced, Daikin have finally agreed to raise a support call and get an engineer out to witness the clicking and to put in place some monitoring to check the voltages. Fingers crossed this will shed some light on this issue. Once I hear anything back from them I will post their results.

Cheers

Steve

frank
04-03-2013, 08:01 PM
After having the indoor and outdoor unit replaced, Daikin have finally agreed to raise a support call and get an engineer out to witness the clicking and to put in place some monitoring to check the voltages. Fingers crossed this will shed some light on this issue. Once I hear anything back from them I will post their results.

Cheers

Steve
That would be good Steve, as this issue is not something I have come across, and I have been using Daikin since the mid 80's.

AbsoluteWDJ
05-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Hi AbsoluteWDJ

So I have checked the indoor unit and there are no lights on it, so doesn't look to be the same issue. The sparky has changed the control cable so that has also been ruled out.

Cheers
Steve

Is there an indoor switch with neon light. Not indoor unit!

Gnarlyboarder
05-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Is there an indoor switch with neon light. Not indoor unit!

No indoor switch either

Cheers
Steve

frank
06-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Never come across this before so it would be good if the Daikin engineer can pinpoint the source then let us know what he found....

Brian_UK
06-03-2013, 11:02 PM
My only thought for this one assumes that the unit has an electronic expansion valve and it is being reseated on a cyclic basis. i.e., software checks all of its sensors to ensure that they are not in fault and also gives a close command to the EEV.

Gnarlyboarder
11-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Ok so the latest update is that an engineer has been out and witnessed the clicking. He has confirmed its a relay, but couldn't identify which one. This has now been escalated back to Daikin, who have advised that they will now send another engineer to set up some sort of monitoring on it....watch this space...

Cheers
Steve

Brian_UK
11-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the update, we're all sat around the camp-fire here awaiting the outcome. ;)

nevinjohn
14-03-2013, 06:34 AM
The clicking sound is probably the thermostat (usually mounted on the evaporator coils). Is this a VRF system ot the normal split. Visulally inspect the outdoor unit that the condensing fan is running when the compressor is running as relays are usually there with condensing fans and compressors for ODU. . .

Gnarlyboarder
18-03-2013, 02:53 AM
Hi Nevinjohn

As far as all the checks, everything is working as it should be according to the engineer that came out, but they are still none the wiser as to the relay clicking. Still pending this Daikin monitoring equipment to show up....

Cheers
Steve