PDA

View Full Version : TK SB310 shows amber, but no codes. aux display issue

indycar89
24-02-2013, 04:29 AM
Hello gang - My SB310 has been doing some funny things with the Green and Amber TK indicator thats mounted on the side of the trailer. The amber light has been illuminating in various brightness, combined with the green T also with various brightness - this would change frequently. Leading up to this, I've had to jump the unit twice in very cold weather - both times after the unit sat for a couple of weeks. Once started, it ran without issue or need of additional jumps. Once the display starting acting up, I decided to replace the 2.5 year old battery, thinking this would solve the display issue. No such luck. The unit now has the amber k lit and the green T is just barley illuminated.

No codes in either the standard or maintenance menus. Pre-trip inly shows RPM check - which the unit has done since I've owned it.

Any ideas? The unit appears to be working fline apart from this.

Thanks!
Indy

IRMechanik
25-02-2013, 11:53 AM
The old green/amber remote lights were rubbish and I'm surprised it's still working at all. The newer white, flat led models are much more reliable (40-980).

If the controller shows no codes it's probably a bad r/l but check your wiring where it's tied up behind the battery, make sure nothing's rubbed through.

Batteries in reefer units on average only last about two years, after that they start to fail just as you described (boost after sitting for several days)

indycar89
26-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Thanks IRMechanik for the response. Here's a photo of it's latest light show. This is with the unit running.

Is "bad r/l" = bad remote light?
Thanks,
Indy

gravy258
26-02-2013, 06:40 AM
the new lights aren't that flash, the LED's fail and they then look pretty ordinary.
The one you have normally just stop working altogether. I'd be betting you have corrosion in the plug or something. The plug behind the battery.

indycar89
26-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Thanks Gravy. I'll give it a look see!

Top_cat
26-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Could be worth plugging it in if you have wintrac.

But like others before me have said, it could be a u/s remote light, or maybe try cleaning the plug.

Good luck

waterskidog
27-02-2013, 05:06 AM
I would say the light. You can also put your unit in a full pre trip that does a faily good check of the unit. 2.5 years on the battery is time to replace it.

IRMechanik
27-02-2013, 12:09 PM
yes R/L = remote light, sorry using my shorthand.
Check all your light wiring carefully, you may get lucky and it be a simple and cheap fix.
Let us know what you find.

indycar89
28-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Thanks you for all of the helpful replies!

I removed the battery yesterday and examined the wiring plug. Everything looked fine, cleaned it anyway. The pigtail going to the light looks fine and well protected. The harness piece going to the controller on inital looks-see looks OK. I buttoned it back up and there was no change in the light operation. I think I'll need to separate out the harness piece that goes tot he controller, but unfortunately, when I lifted the battery back into the unit, I must have twisted wrong or something because I've thrown out my back! It's getting better, but I'm still having problems - so it's going to be a few days before I'm able to take out the battery again and get a closer look at the controller wiring piece.

For those of you who think it might simply be the light, I'm wondering why it is now showing amber (when it should be green) as opposed to no light at all?

Thanks again!

[battery has been replaced. Pre-trip shows no codes]

tony2009
28-02-2013, 06:30 AM
Internal wiring on those old Remote Ind Lights did cause some of them to fail and as they're sealed, there's not a lot you can do; R&R the R/L will probably help you see the light (so to speak).........

damo_666
28-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Pretty common drama from what i've seen. R&R status light unfortunately :(

waterskidog
04-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Indy car,

can you give us an update? thanks!

Vandman
06-04-2013, 02:14 PM
This is a very common issue with the old green/orange lights. Seems like it definitely has failed.

If you want to check for sure cause the unit to fail with a SHUTDOWN alarm. Unplug that little spade connector from the starter (8S). Unit will fail to crank the starter and will display a SHUTDOWN alarm. The lightbar should flash between green and orange. That will test the green circuit another way.

Based on experience tho id say your light is broke.

indycar89
07-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Hello! Sorry to take so long to post back! Once I got back home, some family issues have kept me busy and away from the rig, so I've hadn't had time to pursue this light issue until now.

SOLUTION: As so many of you suggested - it was indeed the light! At $260 from the dealer for the 'improved' version, I was a bit hesitant. However, I did find a 'old new stock' indicator - just like the one I had - for a significant discount. All's well.

Thank you all for your input and advice! :D

Now to change the valve cover gasket and hit the road!