PDA

View Full Version : Most valued Customer

andre_fridge
24-01-2006, 08:24 PM
One of my most valued customer called me in to check his fridge, he said that it was tripping his power, after testing the unit for two hours and not finding the elusive short i finally resorted to checking the plug, lets just say he has now hung up his tool belt and decided to stick to selling hamburgers and pizza, you had better check the attached pic

Brian_UK
24-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Well I can see the problem but have to ask....

Don't you have fuses in your plug tops ? If not how to you protect the cable from the socket to the appliance?

Abe
25-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Well I can see the problem but have to ask....

Don't you have fuses in your plug tops ? If not how to you protect the cable from the socket to the appliance?

Brian

I recognise that plug, its from South Africa.
and...............it wasnt me..............!!!

The plugs there dont have fuses, rather, they have some earth leakage protection, in event of short, a RCD trips the whole board

dogma
25-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi guys, In Australia we have "circuit breakers" or fuses in the mains box. These protect the appliance. I don't want to contadict you Aiyub, but arn't RCD's merely protection to the user as they operate on an "out of balance" of current?

slingblade
25-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Two hours? lol:)

frank
25-01-2006, 09:57 AM
The plugs there dont have fuses, rather, they have some earth leakage protection, in event of short, a RCD trips the whole board

But what if the fault is not down to a short? what about overcurrent?

dogma
25-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Hi Frank. In Australia we use 3 types of circuit breaker.
1. Thermal (bi metalic strip)
2. Magnetic (no time lag)
3. Thermal-magnetic

The most widely used is the Thermal-Magnetic as it provides the time delay (ie high current start ups) whilst the magnetic, which is rated higher, provides an intant open circuit.

An RCD must be used in conjuntion with one of the above and is basically PPE for the comsumer. meanwhile by installing a RCD the consumer/propieter/home owner is protected but as for the appliance if an overcurrent occurs........................................................BANG.

Or at least this is my understanding.:)

Abe
25-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Dogma

My mistake, its not a RCD....

Im not exactly sure because I never did Electrical work in South Africa, but my brother used to wire up houses and I used to watch his guys and was always intrigued how the earth side worked.

Perhaps , some South Africans can help me out here.

(Psuedo Irish South Africans dont count!! :D :D :D )

andre_fridge
25-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Ok
Aiyub you are so correct, yes a south african plug top, as for fuses , no the power ib this country is absolutely shocking, so as we all know a drop in volts is a spike in amps, would blow the fuse straight away, generally the "good" installers fit all their units on their own dedicated individual circuts, that are matched to their maximum amp draw ie if a reach in air con running amps is 7 amp and start up 18 amps we would fit a 10 amp slow fuse breaker. the current draw on start up generally does not exceed 2.5 sec so with a 5Kva switch instead of a domestic 2.5Kva switch which you manage to dodge the high current start ups, we have basically the same systems as the aussies when it comes to electrics (lets not talk about the rugby or cricket) but the earth leakage "watches" for a difference in draw of power between live and neutral as well as any voltage on the earth, and if it "sees" bang it drops, fairly safe circuit in house, by law we have to have all appliances that may be touched by persons to be on an earth leakage, so very few people get belted here, unless the unsavoury electricians short them out, basically with our new "dispensation" trade tests of the old times have fallen away because it is not good for equality in the work place, and thus my competitors have become some of my best customers.

andre_fridge
25-01-2006, 06:20 PM
watch this site for some good photos , welding, ducting etc , some of it is scary!!!!!!!!!

rbartlett
25-01-2006, 08:10 PM
watch this site for some good photos , welding, ducting etc , some of it is scary!!!!!!!!!

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please make sure that under no circumstances must the pictures indicate any lack of supreme technical all conquering, world beating, tiptop, uno numero, big cheese, main man, top honcho, type skill of the indigenous population.
(especially those trained at somewhere ending in either ....bosch or .....berg)

All errors and poor workmanship must - I repeat MUST-be shown to be the work of imposter's and infiltrators to the Air conditioning/refrigeration Utopian dream which is the peoples republic of South Africa

Many thanks for your co-operation

Cheers

Richard

frank
25-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Richard - you beat me to it. ;)

reading that post and my first thought was exactly the same. :D

slingblade
25-01-2006, 09:49 PM

Bring it on buddy, im always up for a laugh!!!:D :D

Brian_UK
25-01-2006, 11:00 PM
It's funny Marc but why is it that anyone who leaves their own country and arrives in the UK has to berate it ? If it is so bad then why come or stay ?

I'm not saying that we are perfect, my word oh no, but if you slag us off it doesn't help make friends.

dogma
26-01-2006, 07:04 AM
:eek: wow. Just imagine if he was Australian. You'd have to book weeks in advance.:D

Abe
26-01-2006, 07:41 AM
It's funny Marc but why is it that anyone who leaves their own country and arrives in the UK has to berate it ? If it is so bad then why come or stay ?

I'm not saying that we are perfect, my word oh no, but if you slag us off it doesn't help make friends.

You know what it is Brian ??
Its bitterness bourne out of having lost that paradise that once was.

Hence, the gripes about how rapidly the condition of the roads , etc are rapidly declining , more so as the colonial is not there to keep things running smoothly.

I tell you the condition that is not declining in the New South Africa.

It is peoples Human Rights

For some...............The grapes were always sour.

Abe
26-01-2006, 07:44 AM
And to set the record straight.........

I travelled on the Joburg / Durban highway just last month

Not a pot hole in sight

Some people just suffer from delusions sitting in their couches and dreaming......( the worst)

Let me say, for some the glass is always half empty

dogma
26-01-2006, 12:58 PM
:) Hi Marc, I'll confirm the story about Australian roads. They are shockers. Pot holes and loose stones on most streches of h'way. Our major problem is our country is so damn big, the cost of maintaining far outways the revenue gained by taxes and vehicle registrations. Even though we pay annual road improvement fees of around A$450.00/yr for a standard 6cyl sedan.
Anyone familiar with the Makay to Rocky strip will tell you its a game of chicken with kangaroos, potholes, loose stone and shattered glass, hence the name "crystal highway".
We have a number af SA's working in our work place from fitters to sparkies and there have been many Farmers migrate from all parts of Africa.
Just as long as they don't try to infiltrate our cricket and rugby teams we'll get along fine.:) :D :D :eek:

Brian_UK
26-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Hey Marc, I can't argue with your statement about the UK training etc. I just wish you'd stop reminding us how cr*ap our systems are.

The day that accountants took over manufacturing was the day we started downhill.

milo
26-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Thought you might like to read this story about the demand for South African workers - professional and have a good work ethic:) http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=vn20060114102030521C157592

Abe
26-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Marc

You the one who said these were going downhill and you were perceptive sufficiently to leave.....

Now you want to go live in Camps Bay....

Are you on drugs???????????

slingblade
26-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Quote:

Are you on drugs?

You are one of the weakest thinkers I have ever had to talk to. Why are you so incapable, when did you leave school?

Another question falls on deaf ears. are you on drugs or not? go on you can tell me, even if they are prescribed and not recreational.

phil68
26-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Are you on drugs???????????[/QUOTE]
If so, can you get me some?:D :D

slingblade
26-01-2006, 09:22 PM
Are you on drugs???????????
If so, can you get me some?:D :D[/QUOTE]

Not me mate, i do have a sneaky suspicion though that M.........