PDA

View Full Version : Guidance for an Apprentice?

CTurner
18-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Hey Guys

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought I'd play it safe and stick it in the general chat area.

I've only just signed up here and am looking for some guidance. I'm six months into a refrigeration/air con apprenticeship with a wholesaler in the UK and spend my time in the workshop brazing up condensing units, making suction lines etc.

I know they'll put me through 2079 eventually (not handling refrigerant is a pain tbh) and they've said they want to get me out on site with some of our engineers to learn from them too but that's all I've heard about with regards to my training, apart from a little in house stuff on the basics.

I'm looking to work my way up the ladder as far as possible in the future, but my main aim for now is to get as much training under my belt as possible and get out in the field doing services and installs in the next few years.

I've just ordered a copy of "Principles Of Refrigeration" and as mentioned above, will be getting my 2079 sometime this year I think, but I was wondering which other key qualifications or courses I should aim for, or if there are any specific places to look for information to do some self teaching?

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps or offers advice.

Cheers.

Chris.

hookster
19-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Hi Chris
Good brazing is a skill that should be valued and the 2079 will not make you a service tech but rather prove understanding on environmental issues and best practices.

Understanding refrigeration fundamentals is key, then start on getting your electrical knowledge to a level you would expect from an electrician (not domestic wire man) 17th edition & test & inspect etc.

What sets a good service technician apart from the rest is the strong electrical biased ones. You will find 80-90% of field faults are electrical in one form or another.

BradC
19-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Be curious and willing to work your way through the rhetoric of your older colleagues to grasp the pearls of wisdom they really wish to impart.

But most of all just be curious. Never stop wondering and learning.

Rob White
21-02-2013, 03:19 PM

The other two posts offer good advice especially the "be curious" one.

Try and get involved with everything that comes into the workshop. The 2079
is important but it should not stop you working under the supervision of
the other qualified guys you will be working with. You do not need it if you
are enrolled on a training scheme and under supervision.

Where are you based? It would be ideal if you could go to college
and study the City & Guilds NVQ which, when combined with experience will
prove very useful to you.

If you are working the same location most of the time, offer to do night school if
they pay for it or better still get enrolled with BEST http://www.best-ltd.co.uk/
they are a training provider that find funding for training apprentices.

Try and get out as much as possible with the other guys and ask questions.

If you annoy people because you are asking questions, that is their problem not
yours so ask questions and be nosy. Get faulty or broken equipment and strip
it down.

Regards

Rob