PDA

View Full Version : windows 8

martinw58
18-02-2013, 07:27 PM
just got a new laptop with windows 8 installed on it not impressed so far internet working but seems hard to find home page or favourites

chilliwilly
18-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Yes I know its crap. I got a new lap last week because I couldn't open an email that was in doc x, turns out it is the latest version of office and it wouldn't work on my vista laptop.

So I am still using my old one and our lass is using the new one.

Tesla
19-02-2013, 03:14 AM
Hi Martin I would recommend you give Mozilla a go for browser - it is much safer and I just love it. It will take a little to get used to.

martinw58
20-02-2013, 07:25 PM
thanks will give it a go

kefah
25-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Hi Martin I would recommend you give Mozilla a go for browser - it is much safer and I just love it. It will take a little to get used to.

you are right
use mozila or google chrome

jamesmartin
06-06-2013, 10:08 AM
it could have been great but there are a few things that are overdone, is there a way to customize the startup screen.

martinw58
06-06-2013, 07:39 PM
try removing most of the aps from the start up page as they seem to slow down the computer

frank
06-06-2013, 08:19 PM
My new Samsung laptop came with Win 8 and I tried to use it on site last week to hook up to a unit.....failed miserably as the comm port just wouldn't see the kit.

Turns out that you can't configure a USB port into a serial port in Win 8....bloody hate it and the bloke in the laptop shop wants £47 to remove it and install Win 7 - if I supply Win 7 :mad:

install monkey
06-06-2013, 08:43 PM
you can go in settings and remove it yourself frank

Grizzly
06-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Hi Guys.
I don't know about win8.
But we have all been upgraded to Win7.
Which seems quite impressive in that it seems to recognise almost anything!
What is it like for the USB / serial connections that most of us seem to need to connect to fridge plant?
My old sys has WinXP which once gotten used to worked OK.

Have you tried Youtube as to how to reset to Win 7 from 8 Frank?
Grizzly

chilliwilly
06-06-2013, 10:41 PM
You Tube wont always work on my old laptop with vista, and I can't seem to update internet explorer neither. Got this laptop about 5 years ago for agreeing to stay with AOL, but I think it was an old spec laptop as its never been brilliant. Tend to use it just for invoicing and basic business things now, as the software isn't compatible for most internet applications. Won't be long before its on the same shelf as the Commodore PETS, and the BBC computer, ha ha.

frank
08-06-2013, 09:30 PM
I've had a look around YouTube re downgrading to Win 7 and it seems a little confusing as there are more than 1 persons having concerns/different opinions about how to achieve it....

My concern is getting the drivers as the laptop model only came on to the market in Feb and Amazon had to wait until stock was available to sell in April!..Samsung NP900X3E (http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/notebook-computers/ultra-portable/NP900X3E-A03UK)

install monkey
08-06-2013, 09:37 PM
my windows 8 was an add on- so i can safely remove it knowing it will work ok, im slowly getting used to it, as finding files are more difficult- tip from that main page- anything u want to find ie programmes files etc just start typing the name and it gives you the option of searching files,folders,apps

gravy258
11-06-2013, 10:37 AM
microsoft are going to update windows 8 soon, and put the start button back in. This should happen via windows update in the next couple of months.

martinw58
11-06-2013, 07:49 PM
it needs more than the start button back it needs a complete rethink

install monkey
24-08-2013, 04:52 PM
i like windows 8 - hate these links you put on your comments- coffee makers,web design company's
lot of windoes 8 haters here,
soon we will have the next version.

GordonBrothers
07-02-2014, 12:09 AM
I have found a fair few of the older refrigeration programs don't work in Windows 8. You can actually legally downgrade to Windows 7 if your Windows 8 PC comes with the Professional version. The older programs are slowly being re-programmed for the newer 64 bit OS.

GordonBrothers
07-02-2014, 12:15 AM
Yes it seems Microsoft has done deals so some Win 8 PC's don't actually have any Windows 7 drivers. You are eligible to downgrade if your PC comes with Windows 8 Processional. Once you check if your PC has Win 7 drivers available, you can install windows 7 using any product key have. Once installed, just install all the drivers which should be available from the Product support page.

If you need any tips feel free to PM me. Happy to provide a Serial Number for the install and a link to the drivers.

gasdetectors
21-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Just drop out into the desktop mode and use your computer as normal?