PDA

View Full Version : HVAC Unit using R-407C to be retrofitted/changed to R - 134A - it is possible?

ijielo
17-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Highlights is we had a HVAC unit here that have been in our contract for Maintenance and presently using a Carrier compressor Model 06DM3357DA3800 which the application design usage is for Refrigeration Medium Temperature. And as per info to us by Carrier supplier here, this compressor model is not usable for R-407C (it is only for R -22, R134A, R - 502,) and we have already one compressor brokedown with the valve plate and it's valve reed damaged. And now, were planning to retrofit it to R - 134A refrigerant and changes the compressor to A/C duty type model at the same time the expansion valve.
(Note: As per to our query, our clients never knew that this case has something to do with the wrong design application)
Appreciate to input some advise/recommendations from the above subject on whatever consequences will be an advantages and disadvantages. What other additonal factors needed to consider and meet existing capacity. Lastly, it is possible that we can carry out this?
Thanks.

install monkey
17-02-2013, 08:42 AM
http://www.acr-news.com/news/news.asp?id=1528&title=R22+replacement+made+easy

Tesla
17-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Hi Ijielo
You are screwed. Replace the system. Compressor failures on 06D & 06E compressors have a greater than 50% chance of failure within 3 months (download the manual). The system is high temp with a med temp compressor. I have had my fair share of rebuilding, refrigerant changes and system clean up on 06D & 06E compressors. I have had many successes & one failure (due to an ignorant boss). The new gaskets will leak eventually as there is no aspetos in the new ones and warping of sealing faces. The last one I did was a 1973 two years ago and is still running after a very expensive clean up process. I strongly recommend you cut the losses and replace the unit/system with something modern that will last. Try not to use a system with R410a as it will use gas like a sieve. You can search this forum for posts on this subject. Perhaps IM has a good avenue to follow, but from experience proven and tested just replace it with something new designed for the application. If it were a high temp comp for the application different story.

install monkey
17-02-2013, 10:29 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?u24c193vvmyuapv
06e service info;)

ijielo
17-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Hi Telsa,
Thanks for the info and sharing. But eventually we can't simply replace the whole system or unit due to the facts of the effect in the production/operation costs of the facilities by shutting it down for long period of time during the replacement.(offshore facilities- Oil production platform)- this what our recommendation to our client. That's is why the plan first is to carry out some alternative ways to correct this problem as per agreed by our client until the replacement will be initiated. We intend to replace the compressor with an A/C duty not the same existing compressor and with a usage of R-134A refrigerant or other type/brand of compressor that can meet the capacity required by the existing design. Appreciated very much if anyone from this forum can give some advise/help or solution to solve this problem of ours. And based to in one of the hand-outs given here with regards to http://www.acr-news.com/news/news.as...ment+made+easy, is it already been proven the efficiency of this refrigerants mentioned? Is this can be applicable to use in replacement to our existing HVAC unit using R-407C or do we still need to replace the compressor with a A/C duty one (Carrier brand) and be fitted with this new Refrigerant, and lastly do we still need also to replace the existing expansion valve, if yes what type of expansion valve to be installed for this new refrigerant?

Regards...

richardb14
17-02-2013, 08:33 PM
What about R422D?