PDA

View Full Version : Flexible hoses for r410a split system

chillyjag
13-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Hi all,
I am in the process of installing a 2.5kw split system to my old caravan, and being concerned about vibration and copper pipe thought id see what was available on the Australian market re flexible lines. A quick search brought up 'Spartaflex' but sadly there is an issue with operation re heat mode with a spilt system. Trawling the web a bit more brought up several products from Europe and the U.K. such as 'Armacell Flexifast' and 'Parker K-link' and others, but not readly available in OZ......after some more web trawling I located a Parker 'Parflex' refigerant hose
'510a' with a max pressure of 2500-3000 psi depending on the size.
http://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/product/hose/510a-hose/
The i.d. of the hoses to match the i.d. of the copper line is not exactly the same-
510a-3 is at 5mm is pretty close to the i.d. of 1/4" copper line but the i.d. of 3/8" copper line at approx 8mm does not quite match 510a-5 at 10mm i.d.....would this difference in size over a pipe run of 1.8 metres be an issue?
Providing my local hose doctor (Enzed) can source suitable flare fittings to suit the two hose sizes and crimp them on....would this work in theory?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Brian_UK
14-02-2013, 12:06 AM
I take it that the vibration that you are worried about is when the 'van is being towed/driven on the roads.

How would your vibration compare with that produced by the machines compressor which is directly connected to the copper pipework?

Do you have LPG cooking/heating in the 'van? How is that piped?

Tesla
14-02-2013, 12:27 AM
Hi chillyjag and welcome to the forum
You could get Enzed to make you up some stainless flexible hoses. I had them make up a stainless 5/8" x 4' stainless flexible hose for evacuation many moons ago. Not cheap but.

Magoo
14-02-2013, 04:17 AM
Mobile refrigerated trucks and the like still use copper pipe, but with lots of bracketing and clips holding everything in the same plain.

chillyjag
14-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Hi chillyjag and welcome to the forum
You could get Enzed to make you up some stainless flexible hoses. I had them make up a stainless 5/8" x 4' stainless flexible hose for evacuation many moons ago. Not cheap but.

Hi Tesla,
I mentioned the stainless braid flex hoses to the Enzed man who said that is an option, but the Parflex 510a would do the same job but more cost effective. just waiting to see if he can get the hose and flare fittings to suit....my only concern was the suction line being 10mm i.d instead of 8mm i.d. having an effect on the systems operation.

HVACRsaurus
15-02-2013, 02:26 AM
Small changes in pipe size, especially larger wont be a problem.

Tesla
15-02-2013, 08:00 AM
I agree it's not a large change in size. It would decrease the velocity of suction and possibly increase the suction pressure a little. It might be different if it was used in reverse cycle. I don't think it will effect the oil lift from the indoor unit much either. May need a little more gas. Go for it.

assailant
24-02-2013, 04:22 AM
Hi all,
...the Australian market re flexible lines. A quick search brought up 'Spartaflex' but sadly there is an issue with operation re heat mode with a spilt system.

whats the issue with spartaflex?

ive used these on a dozen ducted splits..