PDA

View Full Version : Uv dye invalid warranties

Ian21081974
11-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Hi

My friend has had a realy difficult leak to find and for him was the only way was to use Spectroline uv dye in the system this was on a small chiller supplying chilled water to close controlled units indoors.
The manufacture turned up to inspect the leaks which was found ont the tev and condenser coil and has told all the warranties know are invalid as uv dye has been put into the system.
He has spoke with advance engineering and they have sent him over there papers on it and said most compressor manufactures have approved the uv dye etc have have written documents saying this.
So he asked me if i knew anything about this i did mention compressor oil was a known worry but that has been proved wrong know.
Does anyone know about the the damages on tevs,solenoid valves,compressors so i can help clear this up for him.
Any info would be appreciated.

Ian

Ian

cadwaladr
11-02-2013, 06:57 PM
from the makers point of view,yes they are right to invalidate the warranty,with the leak detectors available today you should be able to find leakage,on big plant it would be difficult,met plenty of systems with it installed from new,a tricky one for sure.

monkey spanners
11-02-2013, 07:10 PM
Chiller manufacturer is being a cnut. Its not like the dye made the tev and condenser leak...

Never seen any damage caused by spectroline, but have seen tev's wax up in systems using it (often mineral oil maneurops converted to r134a) never sure if it was the dye or if it just stained the wax that was there anyway.

I have been told some car manufacturers put the dye in from new!

install monkey
11-02-2013, 09:11 PM
i know maneurope dont recommend additives/dyes but as long as they honour your repair, the compressor should run for a few years before failing- so i wouldnt worry about the voided warranty,maybe check next time with the manufacturer if the unit is in warranty before adding spectroline

FEISTY
12-02-2013, 05:52 AM
Here in U.S. there was a early entry to the dye market called TRACE. It was a red liquid in a small bottle that was used by dripping or pouring into system using the open end of a manifold hose. Compressor companies that received a warranty claim would void any existing coverage if this product was found in the part returned. Since then several companies have come into the market such as Yellow Jacket, Calgon, Spectroline,etc. using the yellow/green flourecent chemical. A small amount goes a long way !!! The chemical companies have run their products thru the parts and compressor companies to prove the dye causes NO DAMAGE to the equipment. The leak detector kits have it printed on the package that it is approved for use by the parts manufacturers. Lastly I am in contact with equipment manufacturers often to verify what I can and cannot use before I run tests so that I don't end up " eating " a compressor refused for warranty. So far the major companies all approve of the currently used U/V dye chemicals. Just be sure to follow the amount injected by capacity guidelines and all is well. Someone on your end either doesn't know the policy or think they can double-talk out of paying for warranty coverage. I use chemical leak 95% of the time. New ***** blends won't always trigger an electronic sniffer or a large leak can set off a sniffer 10ft. from the leak. For me...dye glows where ***** leaks. Done deal. Have a great day !!!

hookster
12-02-2013, 07:08 AM
http://www.ior.org.uk/ior_/images/pdf/general/GN16%20EN378%202008%20update.pdf

I would write a letter to the manufacturer informing them that due to the non compliance of their product and its failure to comply to EN378 you will be contacting in writing to their CE certification body that they have failed to comply with the pressure equipment directive. (get their registration number from the CE cert)

They have more to lose in time hassle than you do!!! Besides manufacturer warranty is worthless anyway and compressor manufacturer will give you two years if you contact them. Name and shame the manufacturer on here!

An interesting fact is that the condenser & evaporator does not actually require CE marking and are excluded from PED!

Ian21081974
12-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Many thanks everyone he probabley should of checked before he put it in but yeh i thought they where being a bit stupid and dont want to carry out the repair work under warranty.

THANKS EVERYONE