PDA

View Full Version : Retrofitting 410a on a Propane system

Bigfreeze
10-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Recently I've come across a type of heat pump that has serious problems with invertors and compressors and are costing customers a fortune in repairs. Most people have asked me is it possible to retrfit a different heat pump to the existing dx collectors. The problematic systems have been running on propane and were I to switch it would be to 410a. What problems would I face in this scenario with oils and contamination from the propane and is it even feasible?

Z2TT
09-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Recently I've come across a type of heat pump that has serious problems with invertors and compressors and are costing customers a fortune in repairs. Most people have asked me is it possible to retrfit a different heat pump to the existing dx collectors. The problematic systems have been running on propane and were I to switch it would be to 410a. What problems would I face in this scenario with oils and contamination from the propane and is it even feasible?

You need to find out why the System did not run well on Hydrocarbons first, was the correct hydrocarbon blend used? Contamination, Air, Moisture? Charge Level?

Or were the Inverters simply just playing up?

Propane if that is what was in the system won't cause any defects or contamination to the oil.

if a Good Quality hydrocarbon blend is avaliable locally that will replace the original Fluorocarbon Gas, there is no problem using that, either way once you get some refrigerant in there you'll have to diagnose it once the inverters are replaced, do you suspect any other problems?