PDA

View Full Version : Thermo King OptiSet

nova
21-01-2006, 03:09 PM
According to leaflets (I know, I know) OptiSet offers excellent temperature management. We haven't use it in Finland at all, but one of our customer wanted to have OptiSet programmed so we did. We defined Floor Limit, Freeze Protection and High Speed Modulation and the results were amazing. OptiSet really works and temp. management is in another level compared to non-optiset system. I attach an image taken from our customer's SL-400e SR-2 Wintrac download.
As I understand it, Carrier's Intelliset is similar to OptiSet.

Are your customers using OptiSet/IntelliSet?

http://www.kolumbus.fi/cool/optiset.jpg

Reeferjon
23-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Hey Nova.
Yep Optiset is a good tool for fine temp managment.

Biggest problem we have found is that the customer is either not trained correctly for Optiset, forgot that Optiset is set or doen't even know he has it.

The other major problem is that less expienced techies can find it very difficult to diagnose a fault.

nova
23-01-2006, 06:23 PM
I agree on everything you said.
On the other hand if driver doesn't know the optiset is active, it doesn't make any difference because already setup settings will become active so that particular load has optimal settings regardless of the driver (we all know how drivers can easily put wrong settings).

You're right that one must make very clear what optiset setting does what, otherwise we may end up with ruined loads. Optiset is not the easiest system to explain to a customer that doesn't know / want to know such detailed information of how unit works (floor limit, freeze protection etc.)
The major problem may rise if there's a problem with uP or uP needs flash loading, which of course will wipe the optiset settings. If the driver continues w/o optiset, he might freeze his watermelons, for example. This is why we put optiset sheet to every optiset programmed SL-400's door pocket.
IMO, SR-2's HMI should have text "Optiset active" or something in their default display whenever optiset is set. By doing so, technician is able to retrieve the optiset settings with Wintrac before flash loading and put optiset settings back afterwards.

Reeferjon
26-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Good idea Nova.....we should voice that recomendation of Optiset active icon at SMC06...have you had your details yet...we got ours today.

As for Optiset in the door pocket, another good idea, one that I am quite willing to pinch :D

By far the biggest issue I have come across it drivers wanting to run fresh C/S and finding its been locked out (logical some might say)......They know that we don't recommend C/S in fresh...but drivers be drivers, no matter what their Tpt manager has to say.

SRII, UPVI and their systems rely on a good engineering driven sales force and purchaser...without the two together Optiset 'is just a shiney bit that causes problem when someone plays with it'.

I think that as the industry becomes more responsible for how refrigeration machinery is set and involved in how TK/Carrier control their product we will see systems like Optiset used to full potential. Until then we have to content with the guy on the front line.

:eek: THE DRIVER:eek:

nova
05-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Good idea Nova.....we should voice that recomendation of Optiset active icon at SMC06...have you had your details yet...we got ours today.

Yep, we'll see at Birmingham :)

By far the biggest issue I have come across it drivers wanting to run fresh C/S and finding its been locked out (logical some might say)......They know that we don't recommend C/S in fresh...but drivers be drivers, no matter what their Tpt manager has to say.
That's strange. In Finland tpt managers says the last word.

I think that as the industry becomes more responsible for how refrigeration machinery is set and involved in how TK/Carrier control their product we will see systems like Optiset used to full potential. Until then we have to content with the guy on the front line.

:eek: THE DRIVER:eek:
:D
Our worst nightmare!

After seeing optiset in action, i'd recommend it to every sl-400 customer. It just works like a charm. I've had some difficulties to explain the system to our sales manager, but in my opinion, sales persons doesn't have to know all the details, just benefits. Technical guys like us should take care of the interview of the customer and make decisions of what features to use and what not.

Finnish DHL was very interested of optiset after seeing the temp graph I attached to first post. I like to use that graph, because it's been taken from real life, not from TK marketing department, not to blame them :)

Reeferjon
06-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Anyone of 116+ views to this thread want to comment on their experiences/achievments with Optiset.

John.

REEFER-TEK
05-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Anyone of 116+ views to this thread want to comment on their experiences/achievments with Optiset.

John.

I will quote on this thread I am very knowlegable in optise,

Ithink optiset is a great risk management tool for fleets and operators that are not sure what mode of operation to run there equipment.

I set up fleets all the time, however like you have mentioned earlier there are not many educated people on this topic, nor with the understand ing of seeting up optiset.

example a few years ago i had a master tech call me up wining that he couldnt fix a cycle sentry problem, the original complaint by the driver was the unit wont auto cycle, this tech changed his micro to fix the problem, very costly mistake, because the unit optiset was set up in that temp range to not auto cycle.

Also techs dont remeber to retrieve optiset settings if a micro does fail or retrieve before the flash new S/W to tthe unit. it is not a fail safe and there definetly needs to be a higher level of education on this subject.

How about optiset modulation and floor limits, there is another big phone ringer there my trailer wiont col to temp, if optiset is set up to control modulation on return air temp it has to have a floor limit to where the micro say cut back capacity to reduce colder discharge to preven top freeze.

I can go and on the with this subject... Do you guys have the optiset 3.29 program that makes setting it up for newbies real easy it explains all the features in it as you go along.

great program and reccomend to any one. I have it and could share if needed.

the only thing i dont like about tit in its entirty is the fact when you retrieve a optiset from a unit, it is aved as a opt extension which means the you cant just reupload to the micro aftert the change or flash.

You have to import it in the opti program and view its ranges and then prepare it to convert to a CSV extension then you can upload.

Regards R-T