PDA

View Full Version : Help ! Carrier Gx30 chiller oil faults/ problems

mattblade
05-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Ive recently started working for a new firm that has a large number of chillers on site, i come from an a/c and a fairly decent work / knoledge on chillers. I found a carrier chiller with fault codes that relate to oil pressures, i have reclaimed the refrigerant, change the oil solenoid, changed the filter cores on the drier, topped the oil up, made sure all service valves are back seated so they're open to the system, after all that i re charged it, started it up and it runs for 5 mins if im lucky. Goes out on fault '64' which so far as the manual says is a oil restriction, blockage or valve shut, ive checked so many times and dont seem to be getting very far :( help ! please

mattblade
05-02-2013, 09:56 PM
forgot to mention i have tested the oil pump and seems fine !

Brian_UK
05-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Have you checked/cleaned the internal oil filters and followed the 'top-up' procedures?

Manual here...
http://eto.carrier.com/litterature/iom/13050_IOM_03_2011_30GX_HX_HR.pdf

If you have a different model or want some others then check the Carrier data website....
http://eto.carrier.com/lit.asp
[scroll down thru' the models numbers and then click on 'search'

moideen
06-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Ive recently started working for a new firm that has a large number of chillers on site, i come from an a/c and a fairly decent work / knoledge on chillers. I found a carrier chiller with fault codes that relate to oil pressures, i have reclaimed the refrigerant, change the oil solenoid, changed the filter cores on the drier, topped the oil up, made sure all service valves are back seated so they're open to the system, after all that i re charged it, started it up and it runs for 5 mins if im lucky. Goes out on fault '64' which so far as the manual says is a oil restriction, blockage or valve shut, ive checked so many times and dont seem to be getting very far :( help ! please
Check your oil pressure transducer and economizer transducer. Alarm 64 which mention the max difference between the economizer pressure and oil pressure, also check the control circuit especially any loose connection on the port of connected to the respective board.

Gary S
06-02-2013, 08:45 PM
If it has 2 circuits and 2 screw compressors there is an internal oil filter in the compressor. a little bit hard to get out need a large allen key head on a ratchet to turn the cover. cant remember what size but its a big allen head possibly about 40mm. once removed u can replace the filter quite easily.
I had similar problems and replaced the internal filter and the external filter near the small oil pump. oil filter should be wrapped with a heater. i did this a little while after the oil pump was replaced and all was ok. does the pump come on at the start sequence to increase oil pressure before comp starts. will attempt to reach oil pressure 3 times before alarming out from memory.

"9.5 - Oil pumps
The 30GX/HXC screw chillers use one externally mounted
pre-lubricating oil pump per circuit. This pump is operated as
part ot the start-up sequence.
ATTENTION: The operating temperature of the coil may
reach 80°C. In certain temporary conditions (especially
during start-up at low outside temperature or low condenser
loop temperature) the oil pump can be reactivated.
On 30GX units, the pumps are mounted to the base rails on the
oil separator side of the unit. The pumps are mounted to a
bracket on the condensers of 30HXC units. When a circuit is
required to start, the controls will energize the oil pump first so
that the compressor starts with correct lubrication. If the pump
has built up sufficient oil pressure, the compressor will be
allowed to start. Once the compressor has started, the oil pump
will be turned off. If the pump was not able to build up enough
oil pressure, the control will generate an alarm"

james10
06-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Check your oil heaters and internal oil filters as already mentioned and its a 19mm Allen key needed

PATRICK BCR
14-02-2013, 12:23 PM
you say , you have check the oil pump (black model ) , when the pump is broken, the internal parts off the pump are going in cooper pipe, and stay just in connector brass inlet oil port compressor , ( currently the spring , teflon ball, and snap ring, you can check at this point, because this coonector is smaller diameter inside .
Close the manual valve after the pump, evacuate oil and refrigerant by 1/4 schrader after the oil selenoid compressor, diconnect the nut on brass connector and look inside , maybe your problem is here !! Good job

mattblade
06-03-2013, 08:42 AM
thanks for the replys, changed both the oil filters, and the 2nd circuit works a treat, now ive got a hp fault on circuit 1 that wont reset :/, theres nothing causing it to go out on hp, it doesnt even fire up

james10
06-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Faulty HP switch ?????

dangcornish
06-03-2013, 07:13 PM
send me your email or google Carrier 30gx pro dialogue.... manual shows you how to read the pressures

Steve186
23-04-2013, 01:32 AM
Hi mate
you need an 19mm Allen key socket remove both internall oil filters within the the compressor also replace the external oil filters this will resolve your oil pressure problem also on 30gx chillers this is a common problem on your service visit always check the delta p across the oil filter should be no more than 150kpa diff also the check valve in the oil line is prone to fail recommend replacing with the Henry check valve

nhuzain
29-07-2013, 10:50 AM
carrier 30gx chiller discharge gas temperature is high above 210 what is the resan

passandscore
29-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Could be many reasons. See attached.

http://www.achrnews.com/articles/what-causes-high-compressor-discharge-temperature

goshen
01-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Hi
usually on 3ogx if your discharge temp is high it could be either low charge ergo a leak
or bad eco solonoied.
possibly a faulty sensor .
i would double check with your own thermometer make sure it is really running hot check pressures
and act accordingly
good luck

Sserrviceman
12-12-2013, 05:10 AM
Hi! Does anybody has info about pro-dialog service menu and parameters in it? After entering 88 password.
Chiller – carrier 30hw141. Pro-dialog g&h.
Thanks…