PDA

View Full Version : compressor failure Hall Screw 4221

novisad
04-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Good day!
Ask for advice on the compressor
After 3 years of operation of the compressor started to warm up. After dismantling babbit found flaking on the drive shaft and rubbing on one of the Capacity Control Slides.
Because of what it could be? The compressor runs on ***** 134, cools glycol.
By the way, who knows what they are covering the edge of the shaft babbitt?

novisad
04-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Capacity Control Slides.

novisad
04-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Capacity Control Slides

HVACRsaurus
04-02-2013, 09:36 AM
http://www.halltherm.com/

I say get a new / rebuild compressor. The hassle & liability of trying to repair that kind of damage is too much. Be sure to check for liquid slugging & correct operating pressures / temperatures - that kind of damage in 3 years points to a problem with compressor operating conditions.

novisad
04-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Working pressure of 134a ***** rarely rose above 9 bar.
In this compressor had problems with the evaporator: rotten pipe and glycol got into the ***** part.

novisad
04-02-2013, 12:28 PM
The fact that this is a semi-hermetic compressors and spare parts to it do not sell. At least, that's explained in the Ukrainian representative

Grizzly
04-02-2013, 04:58 PM
In this compressor had problems with the evaporator: rotten pipe and glycol got into the ***** part.

Lack of lubrication = abnormal wear.
You can hardly blame the compressor if the refrigeration circuit got flushed with Glycol.

I am not sure of your comment about spares but as far as I know J&E Halls spares network is excellent.
I can't comment upon the price though!
Which is all irrelevant as the comp is not designed to handle Glycol!
Grizzly

novisad
04-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Thank you, I understand your point.
In your opinion, the Capacity Control Slides should be changed?
Why Manufacturer afloat Babbitt on the drive shaft?

novisad
04-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Which is all irrelevant as the comp is not designed to handle Glycol!
Grizzly

Yes, this is the problem: given a tube evaporator leak.

GHAZ
04-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Hi i think the babbitt is there to protect the main shaft and body rubbing together and causing expensive damage, when the babbitt comes off the compressor it does,nt pump,eg when bearings wear ,or screw over heats it gets shaved off or peels instead of rubbing and grinding into the body. the gap between the body and screw is about 4 thou and the repair is easy for manufacture ,just spray or use other method to put babbitt on the screw.

hookster
04-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Hi are you sure that it is Babbitt? I would personally assume that it is pick up from micro seizure as the lubrication film breaks down either from flushing or tolerance changes as the liquid entered compressor.

You can check if it is Babbitt (White Metal) by scraping some and testing if magnetic.

novisad
05-02-2013, 06:44 AM
Yes, it is 100 % babbit.

novisad
12-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Who can tell you where you can buy the main rotor? Repairing the damaged rotor exempt. I would like to hear the opinion of the representative J&E Hall.
Thank you!

HallsEngineer
24-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Yes it is a white metal covering, hit with ball bearings to increase oil pickup. Do not rebuild this machine its not worth it. Just buy a new one from spares distributor. Oh and fix the evaporator and new oil charge etc....

Just seen pics too, you'll need to replace bearings and slides too as bearings have dropped and caused the damage seen.

Carlos Barrantes
20-06-2013, 06:12 PM
I know similar cases and treated "Plating" waste when synthetic oil reacts with water and pipe heat exchangers and other metal surfaces forming a paste.

On my desk I have a rotor of J & E Hall to work weeks without oil . It is the best refrigeration compressor .

Suggest clean all parts , replace bearings and stars in fiber. . . and ready

Please , see www.cbarrantes.com/english.html

Regards