PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Daikin service checker

r.bartlett
02-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Chaps
we are having an EO error on a K-plus system. We know the module but pinpointing what is casing it is proving tricky

I am willing to admit i really haven't got the foggiest idea on how the checker truly works so if anyone can have a look at the data and tell me if they can 'see' anything I'd be most grateful100211002010019

The Viking
02-02-2013, 01:34 AM
Not so sure the checker will help you finding the fault... It will only present a lot of data to you for you to judge what is happening in the system.

E0:
-High pressure
-Fan motor or compressor overload
-broken wire harness
-Loose connection
-Outdoor PCB

So;
How often does it trip?
In picture 3, where the suction pressure is just 1.3 bar, how long has the system been running for? Stable?
Does the discharge temp stay that low or is it creeping up?
Is the system running in heating, cooling or mixed?
Has the charge been verified?
Has the compressor and fans been megged?

Happy hunting.

:cool:

frank
02-02-2013, 12:28 PM
From the pictures, you can see that the error is generated on Outdoor Unit 4. On this unit, compressor 1 is shown as ON but the sensor readings do not show that it is doing any work.

Look at the left hand Numbers - O-1, O-2, etc. Outdoor unit 1, Outdoor unit 2 ..... As you have connected the checker via the pcb connection (top header) you won't be able to see the whole system. You need to connect via F1, F2 for this. Although for an EO fault this won't matter.

Bear in mind that the checker software always generates an extra outdoor unit - the software (pcb) so it's not always easy to determine which is Unit 1, Unit 2 etc.

r.bartlett
02-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks Frank. That shows you know way more than me.. :D

Update: Called in today and found 3rd module no/1 comp DTE.

Isolated it and it is now back an running but the Maintenance manager is in for another 2.5k bill on Monday :-)

frank
02-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Always up for a virtual pint Richard....;)

Tayters
03-02-2013, 02:07 AM
Interesting stuff.
In my Grease Monkey days when we used the scanner for engine management systems I found the data list very helpful to confirm fault codes or to pinpoint running faults when no fault code generated.
Sadly in my AC reincarnation I've not had the opportunity to get my hands on this stuff. No matter, my day will come...

If E0 is HP or fan error then how does a DTE compressor generate this code?

Cheers,
Andy.

frank
03-02-2013, 05:02 AM
The pcb gives out and receives back a voltage to the compressor/fan motor(s). If this voltage is interrupted an EO error occurs. Normally on the grey wires/plug attached to the pcb.

install monkey
03-02-2013, 10:29 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?qt0cyroworuuecx

VRVIII
03-02-2013, 11:04 AM

Bear in mind that the checker software always generates an extra outdoor unit - the software (pcb) so it's not always easy to determine which is Unit 1, Unit 2 etc.

For future reference:
R22 K series plus systems consist of 2 or 3 outdoors & 1 function unit (valve box) this is why you see 4 outdoors in total. (Only VRV II/III/IV will show an additional target outdoor, allowing you to see the system target conditions at that time)

E0 - R22 K plus
1. Each outdoor unit has an orange fault light located at the bottom of the electrics box, this will indicate which unit has caused the fault and should be checked before attempting to reset the fault.
2. Confirm the associated saftey circuit switches are closed circuit on this unit (with light illuminated)
3. Try to reset fault from local remote controllers, if you can reset = Fan motor over heat klixon
4. If the fault can only be reset by switching main power off/on at outdoor = compressor overload (latching circuit requiring power reset to clear)

cool#9
03-02-2013, 08:04 PM
He VRV III how are you.?
Yes it's true the old lamp indicator, on each outdoor... The best way to match a faulf on old series.
Now it's different even with service checker you've to read and understand the whole docs as data book, service manual, installation manual, operation manual, option manual.
But sometimes it's even difficult to get documents...
If you're not to busy just take a look at my previous thread about VRV IV, your posts are usually hepful.
Kind regards
Cool#9

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

r.bartlett
05-02-2013, 08:09 AM
So am I correct in thinking a service checker will pick up the error but won't pin point it?

The Viking
05-02-2013, 07:30 PM
See the service checker as all the testers and gauges from your toolkit built in to one and multiplied.

It tells you everything you need to know about the system but what you do with that knowledge is up to you.
Also, what it tell you and how it is presented will vary depending on which generation of VRV you are looking at :(

:cool:

El Padre
08-02-2013, 09:01 AM
I find the service checker very helpful when looking at the data afterwards (normally in Starbucks), as it does not display the system conditions in real time, that could be the slow processing speed of my mind though!

Also when first connecting a quick glance at thermistor and transducer readings will indicate their condition, an invaluable device as you can also control the indoor units, but I still find that if I am having difficulty finding a fault then it's always the traditional approach that I have the most success with.

It would be interesting to hear how everyone else uses the checker, I am sure that there are many features that I am not familiar with.

Cheers