PDA

View Full Version : J&E Hall Reciprocating compressors V178 (7” X 5 1/2”)

hookster
01-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Hi
Has anyone got a service manual for this compressor, that they would like to share?
:)

GHAZ
01-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Hi hookster its same as v127 but alot bigger.ive got wesr tolerances and apares manual.
What are you doing to it. A top end valve change or complete strip down. Let me know and i will tell you the best way of doing it.because if done wrong the parts cost s fortune.

hookster
01-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi GHAZ
Top end and shaft seal, but I would like to know any other pitfalls for future reference.

Good looking machine! and a lovely big Thumper the old recips, just wish customers would stop ripping out the decent equipment to fit cruddy chillers!!

GHAZ
01-02-2013, 09:38 PM
when you change the discharge valve and springs ,and get ready to put it on . make sure the unloader sleeve pin are down ,because if not they will get bent, the best way if you hav,nt got compressor tools is get some body to push the rod in and you will see the pins drop.put the both discharge valve assemblies on and then the springs and then gasket and the head and tighten it down ,still with the rod pushed in, once the head is tight with 2 bolts you can release the rod. the shaft seal is fairly easey ,measure the distance from the shaft and then put it back same distance it is held on by grub screws. if you are stripping the liners out you need to take out push rods first and lable them to which cyclinders they go and then take liners out

GHAZ
01-02-2013, 10:02 PM
hi hookster ive sent you tolerances sheet and a picture but your email domain reject it.

Rob White
02-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Hi
Has anyone got a service manual for this compressor, that they would like to share?
:)

Hi Hookster.

I've been looking through all my old manuals
and I have full detailed copies of the

7" x 5 1/2"
5" x 4"
V92 3 5/8" x 2 5/8"
VP & VPC Stern
Lubrication specs for Grasso

I can only do paper copies at the moment because, combined there is over 500 pages.

I could copy them and post them to you if you PM me an address (I'll do it Monday).

I will then look at scanning them and saving them as a Pdf files for wider use :)

Regards

Rob

Rob White
02-02-2013, 01:00 PM

I have also found a full training manual from 1972 that covers
refrigeration training for the whole J&E Hall range and then it goes
into the manuals for the

V54
V92
V127
V178

It also explains how to make Calcium Chloride Brine and how to make up
and the maintenance of methanol or methylated spirit and water.......

It then goes into the method statement for a liquefaction plant in Kwinana in 1965
(where ever Kwinana is?)

Regards

Rob

Grizzly
02-02-2013, 02:38 PM
You must of been a child engineer Rob!
I bet all the temps are in Fahrenheit?
Grizzly

Rob White
02-02-2013, 03:05 PM
You must of been a child engineer Rob!
I bet all the temps are in Fahrenheit?
Grizzly

Suckled on Ammonia :o

Fahrenheit and an obscure unit called the BTU :p

Old money :D

Regards

Rob

CHARLIE-OSCAR
04-02-2013, 10:23 PM
into the manuals

I can only do paper copies at the moment because, combined there is over 500 pages.

I will then look at scanning them and saving them as a Pdf files for wider use :)

To Rob, I would also appreciate copies of any Training documents & Manuals you could copy when you get chance.
I'am trying to save any relevant reading material that will be of help to my learning.
I'm trying to read through something every night at the moment.

Thanks From CO

install monkey
04-02-2013, 11:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Kwinana bit of geography for you rob:)

into the manuals for the

V54
V92
V127
V178

It also explains how to make Calcium Chloride Brine and how to make up
and the maintenance of methanol or methylated spirit and water.......

It then goes into the method statement for a liquefaction plant in Kwinana in 1965
(where ever Kwinana is?)

Regards

Rob

Rob White
05-02-2013, 08:34 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Kwinana bit of geography for you rob:)

Kwinana is a Kimberley Aboriginal word meaning either "young woman" or "pretty maiden".

Nive.....

Regards

Rob

Rob White
05-02-2013, 11:32 AM

Charlie-Oscar

I will get them scanned and saved as pdf documents
and then I will either post them with somewhere on the web
or if small enough email them out.

I'll get back to you.

Regards

Rob