View Full Version : F gas and cruise ships

31-01-2013, 04:24 AM
F gas and cruise ships... I was wondering if the new F gas EU legislation cover the numerous cruise ships that pepper the EU coasts every year...
If so, what are the Companies responsabilities? Should the Reffer Engineer on this ships be certified as we are certified to operate in US waters?
I am a refrigeration engineer on one of these and I am curios to know if i need to undergo a new training or not...
Thanks a lot for your time

31-01-2013, 06:19 AM
Unless it has changed recently then no ships or fishing trawlers do not legally have to comply.
Or at least that's my take on it.
The same as wheeled trailers or trucks have a very watered down version.
However if you intend to ever ply your trade on dry land.
Then your 2079 or your countries equivalent will apply.

Given the above how about marine a/c engineers. Purchasing on-land?
How would a wholesaler read that one.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will advise.

The Viking
31-01-2013, 05:49 PM
The big question when it comes to ships is what flag it is flying.

The ship will primarily only have to comply with the regulations in the country where it is registered.
There are a few circumstances where countries and their harbour officials are able to enforce the local laws and standards but unfortunately these are the exceptions rather than the rules.



31-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Marine even tend to use different refrigerant cylinders, I forget the brand. (Unitor or something like that?)
But they take the old R502 size bottle adaptor.

31-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Well Viking, what you are stating isn't actually correct, try to explain to a USCG officer or an US EPA auditor that their rules do not apply on your ship because you have a Bahamian flag :-) Good luck.. Also Australia is a though cookie..
That's why to work on ships you need to have, at least when you cover the Chief Refrigeration Engineer position a universal EPA certificate.
Grizzly, you are correct, We use Wilhemsen (in the past Unitor) cylinders which they use a different threaded connection than land used cylinders.

Rob White
01-02-2013, 08:45 AM

The F-gas directive is a European thing and is Europe's answer / reaction to the Kyoto
discussions, the rest of the world have there own versions. In Europe we class non
stationary equipment differently to stationary equipment, hence the confusion with marine,
lorries, cars and such like.

Other major Countries around the world have their own version and interpretation of the
Kyoto accord and therefore police the regulations differently.

The European F-gas qualification is good for the whole of Europe but if the USA or Australia
have there own agreements then ships docking in those areas will have to comply.

The European qualification may be good enough, I'm not sure on the requirements in
the USA or Australia for the releasing of refrigerants.

The USA still use R22 if I'm not mistaken and that goes back to Montreal!!!