PDA

View Full Version : Small glass cooler

FBIAIR
29-01-2013, 01:28 PM
I have a glass cooler in a restaurant. Changed the compressor 3 months ago. Today I checked it and the compressor start component was melted. Put a 3-1 start kit in and the compressor runs for 2-3 min then shuts down. Compressor gets hot. In 2-3 min the compressor cools off and starts. R-404a suction pressures is at 22 psi. Condenser was clean. Compressor pulling 6.5 amps out of 7.2 amps. The power is 115volts. 1/3 hp compressor. The condenser stills runs just the compressor turns off. I must be missing something. At the same time another glass cooler on the other bar had the same thing. Tried installing a 3-1 start kit in it but the compressor wont start. Pulling 36 amps at start up and shuts down immediately.

Royal241
29-01-2013, 01:47 PM
restriction in the cap tube. see how it equalizes, if indeed too slow, cut a piece of cap tube after drier, look inside for restriction, most of times shortening a clogged tube by a few inches won't hurt the system. the second compressor, ohm the compressor, after it cools down, if resistance is not proper...replace and find out what killed it, acid, restriction, high pressure (dirty condenser)...etc. always flush system with dry nitro on a compressor replacement (get rid of most acid if any), well, good luck learning

FBIAIR
29-01-2013, 02:33 PM
On the one I changed out. When the compressor turns off the system equalizes quick. On the second one more than likely dirty condenser coil. The place waits til the machine breaks down to call. The compressor never gets hot. the ohms across the 3 terminals are bad. Has anyone used that R-11 flush with nitro.

Brian_UK
29-01-2013, 07:32 PM
What is your superheat at the compressor and what is your evaporator temperature supposed to be?

At present you are at -33°F which seems a bit too low to me, but I don't know what it should be.

Royal241
30-01-2013, 01:49 PM
well, in that case check to see if the capacitor drops after start. it could be a bad kit, and add ***** according to the suction pressure.

FBIAIR
05-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Looks can be deceiving. When a coil looks clean, it still may not move air. I went back and checked the glass cooler. The Compressor was pulling 38 amps. LRA of 33. I had a dead compressor. I took the cooler from the restaurant and brought it back to my shop. Took it apart and found the CU coil was bent on the inside of the coil. Looks like someone had damaged 60% of the fins on the fan side which I could not see. I keep telling my guys to slow down and take their time. I should have listened to what I preached. I checked everything else and it all looks fine.