PDA

View Full Version : accountancy software for a small to medium business

cadwaladr
28-01-2013, 06:15 PM
I need to get some software to get rid of so much paper disorganised mess describe it as you want,I have been told quickbooks is the one to use,its for uk only,any ideas ps computers are aliens to me!

Brian_UK
28-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Haven't used this myself but our firm uses the full blown versions I think. but try Sage....

http://www.sage.co.uk/sage-instant-accounts

Not too expensive either.

frank
28-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Sage....Not too expensive either.
It's obvious that you haven't used it Brian :D ...we do - and it is expensive to maintain and keep up with the loads of unnecessary updates...:rolleyes:. I have the 4 user version @ £1750 + vat :eek:

If you don't keep up then they stop supporting your version after a couple of years....just as you are learning to use all of it's functions :(

al
28-01-2013, 07:45 PM
I use Sage quik books, 99euro, decline all updates:)

you'll need to get your head around the computer no matter what, this is very close to just using Excel, i use it for invoicing and VAT, big red book is another you could try.

al

Brian_UK
28-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Fair comment Frank, I was only looking at their on screen price of £125nett and didn't read too deeply.

cadwaladr
28-01-2013, 11:33 PM
i believe with sage you need their paper,barrel and over comes to mind!

r.bartlett
29-01-2013, 07:36 AM
i believe with sage you need their paper,barrel and over comes to mind!

not so, you can use the templates.

We use sage line 50 which is probably excessive for us but we have been with sage since 1990

The flip side to sage is that most accountants know and use it so they will be able to zip round yours without too much hassle...

frank
29-01-2013, 10:16 AM
The flip side to sage is that most accountants know and use it so they will be able to zip round yours without too much hassle...

Do you give them both sets of books or just the set you want them to see? :D

r.bartlett
29-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Do you give them both sets of books or just the set you want them to see? :D

Which set of accounts would I put my Christmas holiday in the carribean against?:D
Not that I could ever afford to go:confused:

goldpau
29-01-2013, 07:47 PM
We just started using XERO after accountant recommended it, all based & stored online (you can use any internet pc or even your phone to login) so no need to worry about losing data if your computer crashes and having always used excel cant believe how great & easy to use this programme is, can also integrate with your bank for live bank feeds thus bank transactions automatically show in xero without you needing to manually input everything which also saves time, accountant says its the latest "dogs doodahs" accounting software which they're now recommending to all of their clients, low monthly fee which includes all updates - thoroughly impressed!

frank
29-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Which set of accounts would I put my Christmas holiday in the carribean against?:D
Not that I could ever afford to go:confused:

Nice one....;)...keep saving those pennies :D

Magoo
30-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Hi cadwaladr.
20 plus years ago I started with Quicken and Quicken Invoice that talked to each other, then progressed to Quickbooks, then to Quickbooks professional, can only recommend it, it is not date driven with cut offs and everything is easy to use. Get your Accountant to set up chart of accounts thingos and you are good to go. printing invoices and statements are a breeze.You can print to emails for web based stuff as well. I haven't bought an envelop or stamp for years. Set up stock parts list etc., a cool accounts system.

cadwaladr
30-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Hi cadwaladr.
20 plus years ago I started with Quicken and Quicken Invoice that talked to each other, then progressed to Quickbooks, then to Quickbooks professional, can only recommend it, it is not date driven with cut offs and everything is easy to use. Get your Accountant to set up chart of accounts thingos and you are good to go. printing invoices and statements are a breeze.You can print to emails for web based stuff as well. I haven't bought an envelop or stamp for years. Set up stock parts list etc., a cool accounts system.thanks that is the one i am going to get.

Abe
09-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Look into VT Transactions. Im thinking of switching from QB to VT