PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Spain

shark26
19-01-2006, 02:57 PM
How long do you think it will take me to drive from Gloucestershire to Valencia (Spain) via Dover Calais, towing a small trailer.
Also what are the speed limits for towing in France and Spain :confused:

Brian_UK
19-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Well according to Autoroute you have at least 19hours of driving, but that is based on a solo car.

As to the towing limits try this site http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/driving-in-france.htm

use the links for Spain.

Karl Hofmann
20-01-2006, 09:31 AM
I'd give it around 22 hours driving time in total at HGV speed. I regularly used to take a 40 tonner down to that region though I used to try to get a crossing to Caen and go down the Atlantic coast, good road all the way down to the border at Irun (Small section of local road about half way down) and then go cross country and over the hills to the Med coast and the Valencia region, a very enjoyable run indeed. Avoid using the N1 in Spain as it is quite windy and very hilly, I always tried to use the motorways as there was less wear and tear on the brakes and I found that I burned less fuel which off set the price of the tolls. The other and more obvious option is to run right through the centre of France and entre Spain on the Med side, though I never favoured that way, and the Paris Orbital can be tricky unless you hit it in the small hours.

Watch your luggage in Valencia as it can go missing from a locked vehicle very quickly indeed. If you like, I can give you exact details of my route though I chose it to best suit a truck, maximising motorways

shark26
21-01-2006, 11:04 AM
I can give you exact details of my route though I chose it to best suit a truck, maximising motorways

Many thanks guys.

Karl i already have the ferry Dover Calais booked. Thanks

Just working out now how to lock the trailer to the tow hitch. The caravan lock that i have doesnt fit. ...Chain and pad lock i think...

slingblade
21-01-2006, 12:24 PM
halfords do a steel reinforced cable with a combination lock.

shark26
22-01-2006, 12:38 PM
I am in luck. Just found an bike lock that is about a meter long. Job sorted. Thanks :)