PDA

View Full Version : unsecured networks

rbartlett
19-01-2006, 08:44 AM
hi guys

well you got to love these wireless networks..sitting here in Piccadilly hooked up to god know who and posting round the world -for free;-))

Now if I can only configure emails to do the same then I'm sorted...

cheers

richard

ecclesk
19-01-2006, 10:11 AM
should be possible, I normally dial up using a phone line to check e-mail on my laptop, but if i plug into a router i can not check e-mail unless i change settings in outlook.

You have to change the setting every time you change from router to phone line or vice versa. This is easy when you get used to it.

Open outlook

select tools

E-mail accounts

view or change exsisting e-mail accounts

change

more settings

connection

Change between : connect using my phon line/connect using my local area network

I must be similar for wireless.

I hope this helps.

frank
19-01-2006, 10:40 AM
hi guys

well you got to love these wireless networks..sitting here in Piccadilly hooked up to god know who and posting round the world -for free;-))

Now if I can only configure emails to do the same then I'm sorted...

cheers

richard

It's easy Richard. Just go to www.mail2web.com type in your user name and password and - hey presto :)

rbartlett
08-02-2006, 02:51 PM
works a treat here in chelsea (traffic's pretty bad though as we have some scousers to whoop tonight;-))

cheers

richard

shark26
09-02-2006, 01:30 PM
You do not have to change your incoming mail server ie (pop3) to download emails.
You do have to change your outgoing email server (smtp) to send emails.

just use a reliable web based email client to send email when away from home/office. or use mobile with data package. My orange contract is £4 per Meg. Thats a lot of standard text only emails.

:)

rbartlett
09-02-2006, 03:07 PM
works a treat here in chelsea (traffic's pretty bad though as we have some scousers to whoop tonight;-))

cheers

richard

AND WE DID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

richard

whiffnsniff
27-02-2006, 12:17 PM
I do a lot of service work and instead of missing out on urgent calls that come in by email.I've set up outlook on my pc to forward specified senders to my hotmail account.When my hotamil account receives them a text is sent to my mobile using hotmail mobile.I then log on amd download them using smtp mail on my mobile.
The only downside is that you are relying on the hotmail servers never to go down.
I've since bought webhosting with an sms alert feature.
This means I know every call that comes in whilst on the road.

riggerish
02-10-2006, 09:07 PM
hi

if you are using wireless to get you internet. All you need to do is set up your email prog as if it was connected to the net all the time or on dial up. ie set it up as per your isp settings. Then it will work no matter how youre connected. it the way ive got it set up and it works for me