PDA

View Full Version : The policing of F-gas (UK)

The Viking
19-01-2013, 11:59 AM
After some discussions on here a few months ago I reported a certain website to DEFRA and yesterday I got a reply, they are taking action and ask me not to publish any details about the case as it might go to court. (So those of you who know what dealer I am talking about, please do not mention it)
For future reference, below is the details of whom to contact with concerns about cowboys breaking the Fgas legislation...

It was good of you to draw to our attention the information on the XXXXX website with regard to compliance with the F Gas Regulations.

Any further concerns about non-compliance with the F Gas Regulationsshould be reported to the Environment Agency or the local authority.

The person to contact in the Environment Agency regarding compliancewith the F Gas Regulations is:

Christopher Summers
Chemical Compliance Team
Waste & Industry Regulatory Service
Environment Agency
Quadrant 2
99 Parkway Avenue
Sheffield
S9 4WF

Email: chris.summers@environment-agency.gov.uk

install monkey
19-01-2013, 12:06 PM
no doubt they'll get a slap on the wrist- maybe have to reword their website !;)

chillerman2006
19-01-2013, 01:53 PM
f-gas dont exist really & certainly not in one part of the industry in particular which just happen to be the biggest user

problem being if you meet the regs you dont meet these huge customers max down time

you loose the contract and someone else who will bend the regs and meet there max down time gets it

in the industry I refer to, its not the engineers but the customer forcing non compliance

after all the engineers have bills to pay and mouths to feed

and there is no f-gas police on the beat

individuals would need to be video-ed and this past on to defra to see action

and no matter how much you/we dissaprove of this would you see a fellow colleague

sacked/fined and risk jail when they have no choice

until all contractors in this industry stand shoulder to shoulder against the customer

no regs will be met

R's chillerman

install monkey
19-01-2013, 02:49 PM
what happened to the dude who bubbled himself to the papers because he wanted a reclaim rig-and his boss told him to blow it off- it was at a petrol station in leeds area - bout 14yr ago?? :o
f-gas dont exist really & certainly not in one part of the industry in particular which just happen to be the biggest user

problem being if you meet the regs you dont meet these huge customers max down time

you loose the contract and someone else who will bend the regs and meet there max down time gets it

in the industry I refer to, its not the engineers but the customer forcing non compliance

after all the engineers have bills to pay and mouths to feed

and there is no f-gas police on the beat

individuals would need to be video-ed and this past on to defra to see action

and no matter how much you/we dissaprove of this would you see a fellow colleague

sacked/fined and risk jail when they have no choice

until all contractors in this industry stand shoulder to shoulder against the customer

no regs will be met

R's chillerman

The Viking
19-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Fully agree Mr C.

The above relates to advice given by a seller of splits to homeowners/endusers, telling them to vent refrigerants... (not to mention ripping them off big time)

But I thought the contact details could be handy to have for us all.

:cool:

chillerman2006
19-01-2013, 05:29 PM
what happened to the dude who bubbled himself to the papers because he wanted a reclaim rig-and his boss told him to blow it off- it was at a petrol station in leeds area - bout 14yr ago?? :o Dunno Install ... but would certainly be interested in who if anyone was reprimanded

Fully agree Mr C.

The above relates to advice given by a seller of splits to homeowners/endusers, telling them to vent refrigerants... (not to mention ripping them off big time)

But I thought the contact details could be handy to have for us all.

:cool:

argh I see

vaguely remember this being mentioned somewhere before

and yes deffo handy to have direct contact details

R's chillerman

install monkey
19-01-2013, 08:14 PM
http://blog.jerrykelly.com/2012/06/refrigerant-locking-caps-help-prevent.html http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/teens-huffing-*****-air-conditioning-units-experts-article-1.1094953 heres a concern for the f gas police- anything that happens across the pond will get copied here!!:rolleyes:

chillerman2006
19-01-2013, 09:39 PM
http://blog.jerrykelly.com/2012/06/refrigerant-locking-caps-help-prevent.html http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/teens-huffing-*****-air-conditioning-units-experts-article-1.1094953 heres a concern for the f gas police- anything that happens across the pond will get copied here!!:rolleyes:

have a site that has numerous loss's and leak not found

can imagine what we were thinking

but this puts a different angle on it

nice one Install

R's chillerman

Gibbo
19-01-2013, 10:22 PM
Regarding the petrol station incident in Leeds I seem to remember the company was taken to court and fined.

Rob White
20-01-2013, 04:07 PM

It is already common over here I'm afraid.

We have numerous reports of gas leaks only to find with investigation
and the use of cctv cameras that certain people use the refrigerant in
the systems and return to the scene of the crime to get another fix

Regards

Rob

hookster
20-01-2013, 06:48 PM
The stealing of Ammonia refrigerant is a common occurrence across the pond for drug production.
Seems a very feeble attempt to get "High" if they sniffing refrigerants! (Go buy a can of aerosol cream kids, at least its nitrous oxide you are ruining your bodies with!)

Policing F-Gas is non existent in the UK and it is possible to buy refrigerant from Online sellers,Halfords, City Electrical (Yes Sparkys are slapping in A/C units) etc and Refrigerant Wholesalers without a F-Gas check.

It actually may be a blessing in disguise when media get hold of the drug aspect and it gets forced to be policed and controlled. Don't rely on the current system as it is broken and there is no money to fix it!

r.bartlett
20-01-2013, 06:59 PM

It is already common over here I'm afraid.

We have numerous reports of gas leaks only to find with investigation
and the use of cctv cameras that certain people use the refrigerant in
the systems and return to the scene of the crime to get another fix

Regards

Rob

I've tried R22 but IAH plastic pipe cenent is far nicer and a real pick me up when up heads up in a false ceiling running drain.. :confused:

chilliwilly
21-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Regarding the petrol station incident in Leeds I seem to remember the company was taken to court and fined.

I had heard that a company based in Bradford were fined around £4000.00 for venting. Apparrently there were someone sat in a car in a carpark watching them re gassing on a few seperate occasions, I don't know if they were grassed and they were being watched. Or the person in the car was an official from the environmental health in the right place at the right time and maybe investigating a different complaint and ended up with a bonus?

hyperion
21-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Always a bit concerned when venting off OFN after pressure testing, that some bright spark is going to claim that it must be refrigerant as it is coming from the A/C system. Oh what fun we have trying to earn a crust.

Rob White
21-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I've tried R22 but IAH plastic pipe cenent is far nicer and a real pick me up when up heads up in a false ceiling running drain.. :confused:

Nice one :D or not as the case may be :eek:

Regards

Rob

frank
21-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Nice sig Rob.
Paste into here (http://morsecode.scphillips.com/jtranslator.html) for a translation.