PDA

View Full Version : Australia

Dynamic-Fridgy
12-01-2013, 03:25 AM
OK, so first time poster long timer reader. I am a kiwi looking at doing what every one else does and going to work in Australia, but I have become stuck on finding out information about moving there. Basically I'm after information relative to me moving there, in the way of getting my Trade Cert recognized, obtaining refrigerant handling license, and getting the equivalent limited electrical license I have over here. I have been on the TRA website, and the artik website and spend endless hours on Google. But what I have found can't be related to me. I am more so after personal experiences that New Zealanders have had with getting themselves all sorted to get work over there. Any help would be appreciated.
Lastly I have read through other threads on here but am still unable to find anything so if I am repeating an already discussed thread please send me the link, many thanks in advance.

HVACRsaurus
12-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Hi I'm pretty sure you can get an arctick training licence (6 month) which would hold you over until you can get the full arctic licence. As for getting your qualifications recognised, the Department of Fair Trading can probably point you in the right direction. If you can manage to get a start somewhere, letters / references from the employer or licienced colleagues would help with the recognition process.

Tesla
12-01-2013, 09:40 AM
I got the qual last year after being here for a long time. Got recognition from tafe by doing level 3 with emphasis on refrigerant handling. Then the craft cert from education dept then the arctick from arctick. It took nearly a year and cost $2250.
It will depend on what state you move to. Vic and WA are the strictest where NSW is more fair. Not sure about the restricted electrical or plumbers license for Vic but I did get them a decade ago. I went to fair trading but it was not the right dept at first - so start at Tafe.

Alan.D
13-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Agree with Tesla, it all depends what state you are moving to. I did mine in NSW also, after a lot of tracking down paperwork from back home, supervised assessments, photo evidence and references, and cost about $2k!! I did mine through Tafe NSW which has an RPL (recognition of prior learning) dept. The staff were very helpful and head instructor was a very nice chap. Well worth the effort, as I've noticed that more and more property companies and building managers are requesting copies of all qualifications and licensing before your even allowed into their buildings

Dynamic-Fridgy
14-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the information guys will chase em up.

emr
15-01-2013, 08:31 AM
i enquired about getting my F-gas handling qualification and nvq changed to meet what the aussies would recognise so emailed a few places. heres a copy of what they came back to me with. id basically have to go over there and take a test and pay the fee.

Hi Dale

Unfortunately VETASSESS will only see you once you have arrived in Australia. Below are the details for having your UK qualifications converted to Australian standards in order for you to apply for a Refrigeration Handling Licence in Australia.

I believe that you cannot approach VETASSESS to have your overseas qualification assessed until you are in Australia.
Below are the instructions for what you will need to do to obtain a Refrigerant Handling Licence.

Your first step is to have your qualifications assessed by VETASSESS. Once you have a certificate from them you can apply for a Refrigerant Handling Licence with us.

It would be best if you get in touch with VETASSESS to see what their protocol is for assessing your qualifications.

Here is the link for Vetassess: http://vetassess.com.au/ (wlmailhtml:{8BFC1C3A-21C4-47BF-BB50-FB5428A9A699}mid://00000135/!x-usc:http://vetassess.com.au/)

Once you have your certificate you can complete an online application for a Refrigerant Handling Licence with us at www.arctick.org . You will need to post in a passport sized photo of yourself witnessed & signed on the back by someone over the age of 18; a certified copy of your qualifications (the ones from Vetassess) & payment of $100. (Payment can be made online by credit card.)

I hope this is of assistance.

Kind Regards,

Susan Bird
Customer Service Team
Australian Refrigeration Council

Phone: 1300 884 483
Fax: 1300 554 023
Email: sbird@arctick.org

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/wlmailhtml:{8BFC1C3A-21C4-47BF-BB50-FB5428A9A699}mid://00000135/!x-usc:cid:image013.jpg@01CCDB6A.672CFE40

assailant
26-01-2013, 03:12 AM
weve got a bloke from london, he had to be assessed when he landed and was only given a cert2 split system installation/decommissioning which allowed him to get a restricted artick licence.
not even close to what he was licenced to do back in the uk.

so he has had to do a cert3 in refrigeration and air conditioning to get the full unrestricted artick licence.

i will never import another uk fridge tech - not because they arent any good or nice people... but simply because getting their quals recognised in australia is so difficult.
the very rigid trade structures here require a very high level of competency due apparently to the unregulated nature of the uk's trade training sector.

currently looking at some filipino resumes of guys who have completed a bachelor level of training and 10 years experience so we can be certain they will get australian trade equivalency.

Kev The Tool
26-01-2013, 05:50 AM
I agree, i arrived here in Perth 10 months ago and it was an absolute ball ache to get my quals sorted, i completed a vettasses assessment in the uk before i came out thinking that would be it, how wrong i was, i called vettasses when i arrived to be told i would have to redo the exact same test on Australian soil to qualify as an Australian tech. For a price of course. I ended up doing a RPL course which was not too bad.
weve got a bloke from london, he had to be assessed when he landed and was only given a cert2 split system installation/decommissioning which allowed him to get a restricted artick licence.
not even close to what he was licenced to do back in the uk.

so he has had to do a cert3 in refrigeration and air conditioning to get the full unrestricted artick licence.

i will never import another uk fridge tech - not because they arent any good or nice people... but simply because getting their quals recognised in australia is so difficult.
the very rigid trade structures here require a very high level of competency due apparently to the unregulated nature of the uk's trade training sector.

currently looking at some filipino resumes of guys who have completed a bachelor level of training and 10 years experience so we can be certain they will get australian trade equivalency.

assailant
26-01-2013, 06:23 AM
kev, our other english lad is also a brummy, he's a sparky and he is struggling with vetassess atm.
he did vetassess in england and has almost completed 12months of e-profiling as a record of on the job experience in australia, then needs to sit the capstone test before being issued with a cert3.
apparently polytechnic in perth are saying he needs to do another 2 weeks at tafe before being able to sit the capstone. of course vetassess say conflicting things.

can you help/advise in terms of what you have experienced?

Kev The Tool
27-01-2013, 02:50 AM
If i can help i will, pm me and i will call you.

Kev

gravy258
26-02-2013, 06:47 AM
the restricted electrical licence is called the 'd licence' as in disconnect/reconnect licence.
see here
http://www.shortcourses.rmit.edu.au/keysearch.php?show_public_course=1&select_course_type_code=S130090&cbs=71efa149fbc6eb2d2ce9e3475b0bef18
in Melbourne.
As Australia and New Zealand are almost the same country surely you wouldn't have many dramas.