PDA

View Full Version : Hand held/ mobile systems

dubati
05-01-2013, 09:50 AM
hi hope this is in then correct area apologies if not!!

so does anybody use palm pilot /mobile phone or similar for service reporting?
does any one recommendations of systems that cover all from kit listing to f-gas checks?

do they work well?

i think it is the way forward buy i need to convince the boss maybe saving money(he'll love that) rather than filling out sheets of paper for every bit of kit which can add days onto the job for some sites we look after

thanks in advance!

install monkey
05-01-2013, 09:58 AM
we use Samsung galaxy notes for sending job updates, don't go for hand held jobbies- you get paid off them, log on in the morning, set your arrive on site, type away on a dyslexic keyboard- they can track your location, theyre big and clunky-usually battery life is poor! also engineer handwriting is like Japanese hieroglyphics- keep it simple

install monkey
05-01-2013, 10:05 AM
also it takes 5 minutes to write a report sheet out with a pen, then see how long it takes to type out the same sheet on a lil screen with a lil tooth pick. its not long before you start kicking it round the plantroom or try reversing over it!!

hookster
05-01-2013, 08:44 PM
:D I love your take on things install!!
I was sent a clip of an engineer testing his new rugged mobile phone! Yep it failed the scissor lift drive test! :o

What software does your company use on the Samsung?
The new ipad service type apps are looking easy and wondered if any companies had adopted them yet?

install monkey
05-01-2013, 08:50 PM
they have job logic- they were trialling it, but as management change like the weather( I could have been a lot cruder!!haha) currently just get jobs via e mail reply to accept job, then reply to the e mail with work done(if any) materials used and purchase orders and times on site(tracker on van can verify that- oh how our boss spoils us!) plus I send a few piccys to use up my monthly data allowance!!!!
:D I love your take on things install!!
I was sent a clip of an engineer testing his new rugged mobile phone! Yep it failed the scissor lift drive test! :o

What software does your company use on the Samsung?
The new ipad service type apps are looking easy and wondered if any companies had adopted them yet?

dubati
10-01-2013, 07:14 PM
cheers install monkey im still looking into it although you have put me off a little!

is it all manual input or check boxes? im going to look into someone designing an app style thing see its do-able

Alan.D
11-01-2013, 12:25 AM
we are currently using iform software on ipads, only good thing about it is the free ipad :)